cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Aaronpurdon
New Contributor

Re: Extremely bad reception, Sydney Trains.

This is a complete dodgy answer and a total company line to shift the blame to someone else when myself and my mate can sit on the train and between Wollongong and sutherland his is fine he is with telstra but optus i get to thirroul and i am SOS until we hit sutherland most days its total crap this is an optus issue and not a “Heavy Metal Body issue” OPTUS PLEASE EXPLAIN.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
New Contributor jrock88
New Contributor

Lidcombe to North Sydney - the whole way thru I get 3G and unable to load any apps.

But what I found out was the girl next to me had 4G full bars the whole way thru; I asked her what provider she was on and it was OPTUS. Good lord.

So I asked if she had an iPhone X she said no, I think it was an 8 or something.

Adds to the frustration.

OPTUS we're all awaiting your response here. I'm on 100GB and unable to use it. When I'm at the office or home I'm on WIFI anyway, so either deduct the monthly cost for 100GB or fix the issue PLEASE!

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @jrock88

Do you get connected to 4G elsewhere outside of being on the train? Your iPhone isn't set to be on 3G Only?

The fact that the girl next to you had no issues makes it a bit complicated to determine it is a network issue.

We receive minimal complaints in comparison to the amount of people who commute on Sydney trains every day. Yes there will be certain spots across the network where signal drops/is lost but not for connection issues for the entire trip.

Have you done any troubleshooting with your phone? One thing to try would be your SIM in a spare phone to see if there is a difference if you have access to one. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor jrock88
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions Ray: I've tried them all prior to posting the message. Yes my phone is switched on 4G. Where can I go from here? Should a client be unable to use the data required on the network, what are our options?
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Can you please clarify what happened when you put your SIM in a different phone?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor jrock88
New Contributor

Hi Ray, I appreciate you requesting research data from me. After testing for about a week going to and from work in the same locations. There were no conclusive evidence where it could be the phone or sim. Some locations worked the same and some were actually worse off. Different types of trains did not make significant difference as the new waratah trains vs the old tin cans were non conclusive. The sample size I used i felt was quite large. To my surprise again, there was an Optus user next to me and I kindly asked them to share their reception signal and they had more bars than me. I'm hopeful that you don't need more testing done. Now I look to your guidance and what Optus will do for their loyal customer. Heaven forbid that I'm now considering a move to Vodafone! What has happened in the world! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for the update. Your next step would be to contact Optus so they can look at the dropouts. 

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum. If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.
If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process.
Let us know how you go. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor wsergent
New Contributor

This has been a problem for years on Optus services. Heading West from Central, the 4G network will drop to 3G, and before hitting Strathfield, it will be H+ or non existent, and completely unusable.

It stays intermittent until well past Parramatta.

Interestingly, I don't seem to have this issue on my commute TO work (Eastbound), between 6:30 and 7:30 am. It is only really a problem on the way home, between 4pm and 5pm (Westbound).

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8, and have tried turning off Mobile Data and turning it back on, restarting the phone, etc etc - with very little success. I had the same issue on previous models of the Galaxy as well, and have had these issues for years.

Using Optus mobile data on the trains is very frustrating.

Top Contributors