Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor TheStormPooper
Occasional Contributor

Extra 1c Charged to my Account

Hi,

Well I've noticed something odd about my mobile contract suddenly. This month I've been charged $100.00 instead of the steady stream of billing amounts of $99.99.

I signed up at $99.99, so if anyone else has noticed this please comment here. Also if Optus is now suddenly charging that extra 1c, they are going to making some extra cash incorrectly.

They can't just change the amount, and round up the cents.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Extra 1c Charged to my Account

I dont think I have seen a mobile plan with 99 cents in the price for quite a long time.

I do have a 140Gb Mobile Broadband plan for $52.50 due to 25% discount that was run end of last year - thats about as close to a whole dollar amount.

Your bill should break it down as to what each charge was for - then depending on payment method you may have a fee for that too.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

THIS BILL
SERVICE CHARGES
XXXXXXXXX on $100 My Plan Plus $90.90
SUB-TOTAL $90.90
GST $9.09
TOTAL THIS BILL $99.99
Total Amount Due (including GST) $99.99

This is what my bill looked like since inception, other than three months in which i was out the country, and the bills had additional charges. 

I've had this contract since sometime early to mid last year when I got my S8, around June or earlier.

Then as of this month, and Optus moving to a new billing application or whatever is happening, as the Live Help operator couldn't go between the two system, it now looks like this.

Service Charges
XXXXXXXXX on $100 My Plan Plus $100.00
Total for this bill (which includes GST of $9.09) $100.00

There is a $100.00 charge. So if this is happening on everyone who was getting charged $99.99 now up by 1c, how much extra is Optus not making.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So it is a $100 plan that due to how GST was being calculated came to $99.99, but most likely due to billing system change it now bills at $100?

You have had many months with that 1 cent so I guess that was an added bonus and now you are being charged the correct amount.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You will have signed up at $100. Optus have just been incorrectly charging the GST component (rounding error presumably).

Optus have recently changed how they present bills and all line items now include GST (instead of previously having the confusing EXT GST amount with GST added in at the end as one big lump sum.)

So its been a windfall but that appears to come to an end. The good news is I doubt Optus will be looking to back charge you.

Peter Gillespie

Edit: <Snap>

Occasional Contributor

Well 90.90 / 10 = 9.90

10% GST

All that is happening now is that the actually amount is being hidden in the $100.00 and it's not being displayed.

I don't care for the 1c, just do the job correctly the first time around. This is why I never have debit orders on these kind of services.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors