Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Nes21
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Excessive data usage STUN and wistia

I had been getting data usage low messages a few months ago which is rare to non-existent for me usually. So when I checked my data usage 70% was used by wistia.com. Never heard of this website before. Called Optus, they had no idea. Told me to do all the basic things etc. Kept eating my data. So I decided to get a new phone. Didn’t help. I decided to change service providers, was convinced it was Optus. Went to Telstra but the reception was terrible so switched back to Optus. Now my data is being used on STUN. 50%. I am so frustrated and confused. I rarely use data. I have wifi and am working from home everyday. And the times of usage just don’t add up. I deleted newly installed apps. Did the iOS updates. It’s so frustrating. Nobody can give me a solution or definite answer as to how these hackers are using my data.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Excessive data usage STUN and wistia

I highly doubt its any sort of hacking.

Optus' data usage labelling is essentially a best guess as to how/what is using the data. There is no technical way for Optus to 100% reliably categorise all the data that is used. See my post here for another example.

The most accurate way to classify data usage is on the device itself, so use apples own data usage stats instead of relying on Optus, or download a 3rd party data monitor app.

Nes21
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’ve looked up STUN. It’s related to IP addresses. If people know your IP address they can definitely hack into your phone. It’s quite scary.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Nes21 wrote:
I’ve looked up STUN. It’s related to IP addresses. 

STUN is just a protocol, like any other. Its not good, bad, safe or dangerous.

All you can deduce from STUN usage is that the data was probably voice or video.

If people know your IP address they can definitely hack into your phone.

If that was the case then every internet connect phone on the planet would already be hacked. Every day you use the internet 100's or 1,000's of sites will get your IP address.

Nes21
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

What about wistia? It’s just strange that when I’m at home using wifi my usage shows I’ve used 2 gb on wistia.com.
2gb is a lot. I don’t download anything, don’t even watch movies on my phone. Purely calls/txt/emails
0 Kudos
Nes21
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Also my Optus app would crash a couple seconds after I open it.
0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hey @Nes21 - As a thought, are you using an Apple phone or Android phone? You could possibly be using data instead of the native calling IE - Apple messaging as a reason why there's data flowing.

Depending on how you're using the data, it's possible that when you're WiFi is not strong enough or sufficient, your phone is switching is automatically over to 4G without you realising. On iPhones, this is referred to as 'WiFi Assist'.

Should there be any problems though, you can call our team on 133 937 and they can raise a case for this to assist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Nes21 wrote:
What about wistia?

They deliver videos and podcasts, mostly embedded into websites by the looks of it. So 2GB might be reasonable depending on the time frame involved. It doesn't have to be full movies, lots of little video clips can add up especially if they are set auto-play.

It could also be mislabelled to some degree similar to what I described in the link in my first post.

It’s just strange that when I’m at home using wifi my usage shows I’ve used 2 gb on wistia.com.

As @Steven_YC says, you may be using 4G instead of WiFi without releasing it.

As I've said before, you really should be checking out what your device is saying about which apps are using the data and not relying solely on the Optus apps reporting.

Purely calls/txt/emails

If the calls are made through FaceTime or some other app rather than through the mobile phone network then they will be using data.

If we assume for a moment that a voice call app is being mislabelled as wistia we can see from the table that it can use significant data depending on how the voice call is transmitted (i.e. which codec is used).

Codec Data (10 Minutes) Data (1 hour)

G.711102 MB613 MB
G.72936 MB219 MB
G.723.124 MB146 MB
G.72671 MB426 MB
0 Kudos
Nes21
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so I’ve changed some settings on my phone. Turned off wifi assist. Turned off FaceTime, turned off my data. I will be monitoring the next week. We’re in lockdown. Won’t be leaving my house and using data so I’ll see how I go! Thanks everyone for the tips
0 Kudos