cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor jwdog
Occasional Contributor

Excessive Mobile Data Usage

So out of nowhere I've apparently used more than 3.5GB in mobile data in the last 24 hours.

Received an alert yesterday 11:10am that we were 889MB into our 1.5GB of shared mobile data.

Was feeling safe that we never exceed our limits (only done twice and both times because we where on holidays) so thought nothing of it.

Then this morning 10:45am we received 2 messages in the space of seconds. 

Firstly, "The shared data on your account has exceeded 1.5GB. You now have an extra 1GB for $10....."

Then, "100% of the extra 2GB shared data has been used. You now have an extra 1GB for $10..."

What!?! So I contact customer support. Well that's an hour I can never get back.

First customer support person says we haven't exceeded anything, and can't see the charges for extra data. But can't work out why we would receive the text messages so digs further. He eventually comes back and says we have a huge data spike beginning at 9am to the time of my call 11:21am where we have used 2GB in browsing data (previous bills highest day was 47MB in a day)  and 1GB in data on google.com (didn't even rank in previous bills). When asked how this is possible and what we should do he just said turn off mobile data and wait for your bill. When I said I'm not paying for this dodgy data he transferred me to technical support to help identify the issue.

Technical support, we can't help you as we don't have the tools. We will transfer you to customer support (where I came from) to resolve the issues. Yippee, support ping-pong.

Second time to customer support, new person, so start the story again. Go through identification for the 3rd time. This time she is adamant I have only used 1.09GB of data as that's all she can see. I say yes that's what I see on the My Optus app but it's delayed. She says no, no, it's real time and up to date you have not exceeded your data. But she then proceeds to tell me the 1.09GB is over my plans 1GB limit. I explain we have shared data across our numbers, she doesn't get how that works (reassuring!) and proceeds to tell me a good solution to our data issue is to upgrade all of our mobile plans! I ask her, so the previous guy had it all wrong about the data usage, yes, so what about the text messaages? Well you were over last month (we went on holidays) so these are repeats of those alerts. I didn't buy it but was done going in circles.

We've monitored the My Optus app all day and low and behold at 7:36PM it updated showing huge data usage totalling 3.99GB with 3.5GB of that occuring in the last 24hrs and 3GB jsut today and assuming the first customer support person was correct it used a massive amount between 9am and 11:21am. It stopped after that because we stopped getting messages and I can't see an hourly breakdown.

This is seriously troubling, and annoying, currently it's an extra $30 on our account and if it sticks there's no way I'm sticking with Optus.

11 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Excessive Mobile Data Usage

Gotta hate the run around you get with support. 3 different people, 3 different stories....

On to the issue you wanted to get resolved though. What devices are you using that share the same data? Please say android.... I say that because both apple and Android offer you usage stats from within the phone (so has nothing to do with what Optus have on their end) and from my experience, are very accurate. Apple unfortunately show you all of your usage from the last time you reset it so unless you reset it just before this spike, it won't help much. Android on the other hand you can just input a date range. This will break the usage down to apps so you can see if there was a spike from a device and which app caused it.

Let us know the devices you're using and we'll go from there. I hate to say it but in my experience, whilst the data usage monitoring apps are usually delayed from Optus, they're also usually accurate once updated. It's the way devices can suck your data away without you even knowing it or even changing your usage pattern that gets people. But, errors have also occured so that shouldn't be ruled out either

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor ratty2016
New Contributor

I was sent an email alert from Optus telling me I have exceeded my mobile call usage of over 152 minutes, which is just over half my quota of 300. So I thought ok, I will check the optus alerts imformation page and it said that the system has a 48 hour delay before my uasge was updated 😞

So today I rang Optus customer support and the guy said I have used only 103 minutes. I said, hang on a minute, my alert told me I had used 152 minutes and now if you tell me I have used 103min and my app tells me I have used 152 minutes, then my actual data is somewhere between 103 and 152 minutes.

He also said to me that my usage is not updated for 24 hours and again I said are you sure? becuase the Optus website says updates are done every 48 hours. So he had to admit he didn't really know, totally usless I thought...!!! 😞

My point is this my usage plan is 300 minutes, Optus says, I will get an extra 200 minutes at a cost of $10.00 if i run out.

Suffice to say that as a customer if I don't...

1. Want to get overcharged as I try to avoid the extra charges due to budget contraints.

2. It's very hard to avoid extra charges, as I have no confidence in Optus on the actual amount I have used.

3. Customer service have no means of actually me how much I have used, as data is not updated in real time...!!!

5. Optus says they will give me an extra 200 minutes at a cost of $10, unfortunately, I may not get to use it by the time my billing cycle comes to an end. Why?

Because I only get 300 minutes and have spent all that time making sure I stay within budget. The offer really contradicts itself as I don't need the extra 200 minutes, which in effect makes my plan 500 minutes, which I can't use because I'm limited to 300. So what's the point ? "A bit like the tail wagging the dog"

The point is I think that Optus have deliberately set up there data app and usage system to make sure that customers cannot get a true transparant way of knowing what usage they have used, and in doing so, Optus have a much greater chance of making huge profits. If optus can accurately tell me at then end of my billing cycle how much I have used by email, then why can't they tell me half way thru, or indeed at any time.

We all know the calls are timed and displayed on a paper bill. And the paper bill shows both time and duration of call and by the end of the billing cycle it displays the TOTAL TIME of all calls made in the blling cycle.

Truth is I believe Optus does have a real time data usage system, which they do not wish customers to know about. and that they tell us is designed to be at best confusing and misleading.

So the only real way to accurately monitor my calls, is for me to write them down so that I know how much I have actually used, and only then will I know truthfully what I need to do to prevent extra charges.

Mike Hirsh

Annoyed customer 😞

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Casey
RetiredModerator

Hey Mike, 

Have you managed to speak with someone about this issue since posting? All of our plans now offer unlimited talk time, so it might be worth changing plans! If your issue hasn't been sorted yet, feel free to PM me your mobile number, name and DOB and ill take a look into it for you.

0 Kudos
New Contributor strams
New Contributor

Have been monitoring this since I exceeded the limit on my pre-paid mobile broadband.  Apparently, I used 560Gb just after 5pm last Wednesday (Sept 28).  There was a state-wide power black out at this time and I know I was not connected.  Needs investigating.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @strams, that sounds like a rather large amount - had you definitely gone over by 560GB? How were you notified that you'd gone over? Our usage alerts and the My Optus app can be delayed by up to 48 hours so it doesn't generally reflect what's been used on the day that you'd received the alert. Dan 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor amc1310
New Contributor

Out of nowhere as well i have used 12Gb of data. It was only 3.5gb then suddenly i got notification saying i have used my 10gb allocated data allowance and they have bumped me up with 1gb for $10. Then another notification saying i have used the 1gb allocated data allowance so they bumped me up with another 1gb for $10. I called customer support and they said the notification was a mistake as they can see from their side i have only consumed 3.5 gb. I was relieved but the next day i got another sms notification saying i have consume my 1gb data so they bumped me up 1gb for $10. I called customer care again and they confirmed that i did. I am sure i didn't as i am only using facebook occasional browsing and maps navigation. So i asked what day was the maximum data usage and what apps. The staff replied with the date that i remember well i dod not use my phone apart from maps navigation as i was travelling the whole day. I dont think maps navigation consumes 7gb. And i also discover that the spotify free streaming strategy is a load of lies. I got charged for streaming spotify. Apparently if you click forward or replay you will be charged. Is forward and replay not part of streaming? They should have stated that in the information as the word free spotify streaming is very misleading.

I hate optus!!!! I never experienced this in vodafone. My 10gb in vodafone lasted the whole month. I only consumed 5gb and that's with occasional toutube viewing, movie streaming, browsing etc etc. I had to download movies near the expiration date to use my data. With optus i always need to turn off mobile data far from reset period. I am convince optus is cheating it's customers. That's what i get for getting sucked in with their cheap plans. I hate optus!!!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey @amc1310, we can have the moderators take a look at your data usage and see what's going on if you like? You should also be able to check your Data Insights via the My Optus App as per these instructions too.

If you've got Music Streaming enabled then Spotify should definitely be unmetered. The data will still show in your usage but shouldn't be deducted from your total quota.

Feel free to send me a PM with your phone number, full name and DOB if you would like us to check.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Chossielee
New Contributor

The reason I left optus and have never looked back. I was averaging close to 15gb data per month but had wifi at home and could not justify the alleged useage. Since changing providers 3 months ago I am using max 3gb per month with the same phone (Samsung s8+) and using the same apps etc. Pretty obvious that something is not right here.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Zoidith
Occasional Contributor

Yeah this has happend to me too, I have since turned off emailing and any other shared data apps that may have been using any data that seems to have worked. But iPhones useles to me at all now....I would like a fix for this problem too.

0 Kudos