cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Excess mobile data use

Hi Customer Service,

I have gone into my Optus App and I am 8 days into my account and I have used 94
% of my data.  I have looked into my daily use and nearly 40G was used in one day.  I normally use about 8% of my data in a month.

As I am at home (like everyone else) in this current situation, (and it is a public holiday), I use wifi at home when in the house - I can not see how I can possibly use that amount in one day, when I never ever use that amount, let alone being in the house on on wifi.  

Can I please get someone to look into it, as I do not want to go over my monthly use as it will end up costing me more.

Thanks so much and look forward to your response.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Excess mobile data use

This has happened to me too! 24gb one day, 19gb the next, all the rest of the month is fine.
Unusual thing is that this only shows online via optus.com.au
When I look at 'myapp' on my mobile phone, it shows less than 5gb for those two days.
I have spent the last week using the messaging service but no-one can explain it.
😞
Good luck getting a response.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Jane you recieve a 50% usage warning SMS? These are legally required and use a different data base

What does your phone local records say you have used - look in settings. Is it Android or iPhone?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The problem with relying on the settings data on the iphone is that Optus shares data between devices (which is great) but data usage recorded on iphone is only the usage done using the phone itself (as far as I am aware)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So what other phones are on the shared plan? Taken together they should give an indication of how much actual mobile data you are using.

Unfortunately iPhones are as hopeless at tracking data usage as Optus is at reporting it. Android phones have built in warning and cutoff amounts that can be automatically set to reset once a month. Makes it easy to manage data usage (and not fall into the Optus trap).

With iPhone I believe all you can do is manually reset your usage counter to zero on the first day of you plan each month. That way you should have an 'at a glance' way to see in real time how much data each phone has consumed.
0 Kudos