Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Nardiapinyon
New Contributor

Excess data usage

Hi, 

In the past hour my data usage has jumped from 2gb used to 22gb when I have not touched my phone at all. & it kept going up every 10-20 mins till I turned my mobile data completely off, therefore getting charged an extra $10 every gb. I tried to contact Optus via the chat support, & nothing can be done till I get my bill which is in 25 days. 
I need my data for work purposes but don't want to turn data on if it just keeps going up & I end up with $$$ extra charges. Any suggestions??? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Excess data usage

What phone do you have?

Have you looked at the local App Data Usage on the phone to determine what app used the data?

Also note when the phone recorded the data going up (Optus data usage updates can be delayed a few days)

Did you recieve any SMS warnings as the usage increased?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Do you have any other services tied with your number that could be sharing your data?
0 Kudos
New Contributor

I have an iPhone 8 Plus 

when I checked on my Optus app for data breakdown, it has an 'akamai' category which I'm not even sure what that is & have never had it on any previous bills. It's used over 15gb. 

I received text message from 9pm saying I was at 50% than 10mins later another saying I was at 100% of data used & that $10 was added to top up my account for another 1gb. Than another 20 mins later another $10 added for another 1gb used. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor

None, only have my phone on my account 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

akamai is one of the largest cloud hosting services in the world. It just means you got content delivered via an app that was based there.  But presumably not netflix or utube as they get seperated out in the Optus app details.

What I'm interested in is what your phone says about usage? Unfortunately Apple has really bad usage settings but go in and see what they tell you.

Any chance your phone might have tried to sync your apple account / cloud folder etc? perhaps amistakenly taken huge 4K film? Added any new apps in the last day or two?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos