Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sharp75
New Contributor
New Contributor

Excess Data on Prepaid

Hi, Do I get an automatic data add on if I use up all my included data on prepaid plans or data just cuts off?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Excess Data on Prepaid

Are you sure you want to go down that road? Optus charge like a wounded bull for excess data and its possibly the main thing their customers would like the option to switch off.

There's no exact match for what you want to do but some options might be:

1) If you have an android phone set a warning and data limit in settings. Should give you plenty of time to recharge.

2) Get a longer term prepaid. Optus or elsewhere. Besides saving you a lot of money (30 day prepaids are expensive) you can get say 100Gb for $200 that lasts up to 12 months. If you use it all in 6 months then its just a single top up.

3) Maybe the new Optus Flex is for you if you're happy to pay $30 a month.

Regards

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Hi here, @sharp75. Thanks for your question. 

We have several types of Prepaid Rate Plans so it really depends. On most of our Prepaid Rate Plans, if you finish your included data, your data will just cut off. You'll then have to recharge again for more data by doing a standard recharge or purchasing a Data Add On.

Automatic Data Top Ups after exceeding your data inclusions is currently only on our Postpaid plans.

I recommend looking for the Prepaid Rate Plan you're on in our CIS page to get an idea on how your Prepaid Rate Plan works. 

If you're unsure what rate plan you're on, you can text "BAL" to "9999" (this is a free SMS) and you'll get an SMS from us advising the name of your plan and your remaining credit. 

Alternatively, you can also check the My Optus App under "Service" and you'll see the name of your plan there.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

sharp75
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you both. Just wanted to make sure that the data will cut off and I won't pay for any data top up.

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

No worries, @sharp75

If you ever have any other questions, feel free to reach back out to us here on YesCrowd. Alternatively, Support is always available 24x7 via Messaging in the My Optus App

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus are amazingly precise when it comes to cutting off their prepaid plans. The second your money runs out they turn off the tap. On a post paid plan Optus apparently can't track them so we'll and if the 4k video you accidentally watch on Netflix Optus will happily pocket $10s and $100s and even $1000s before they get around to notifying you that something might be amiss.
0 Kudos
nicholls
New Contributor
New Contributor

0 Kudos
Casey_YC

Hey there, @nicholls !

Were you needing any assistance around this topic at all?