Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Equipment payout fee

Hi,

Does anyone know how to go about an early upgrade with a month left till contract expires. Made some enquries & was told i had to pay a equipment fee in order to upgrade before my contract expires. Previously you could upgrade 2-3 months ahead before the contract ended. Is that not the case now? Is there any chance of having anything waived? Im on a $80 my plan plus a month...my contract expires at the end of November  but was told i had to pay $124 for equipment fee if i wanted to upgrade now. How is that being calculated?? Why would i have to pay $124 when ny contract monthly plan is $80? And i believe when i signed up for the contract, it was $0 for the handset. 

Does anyone know?  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Equipment payout fee

$0 for the handset still involves Optus supplying a monthly subsidy for the device I believe.

What sort of phone is it? You would be up for the final full months payment on the handset (So perhaps $100 or so? = Full cost of phone / 12). Plus some pro-rated amount for the plan usage so far this last month (5/30 days x $80)

Optus don't seem to allow upgrades until the 12 months has passed. They have a contract with a third party supplier so they may not have any flexability here themselves.

IMO the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is wait 27 days until you are free and clear.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank Peter for your response & the explanation. Much appreciated.  But i really cant see why optus cant do something about waiving some fees. Im not taking my business elsewhere. Whatever happen to keeping customers happy & keeping the business. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

In fairness you're essentially asking for a further 10% discount or so. Optus has already removed any 'penalty' fee and only asking you to pay for the equipment you have and the time you have spent so far this month out of your plan. The $99 upgrade option also seems a pretty generous option? At some point Optus need to step back and say that's the deal.

I'm not sure what phone and contract you're on but it seems to be a 12 month one? Most customers are on a 24 month one (and if you take the 24 month upgrade I believe you may end up on a 24 month one too). In that scenario the $99 upgrade option usually occurs half way through the contract making paying out the contract impractical - you're actually lucky too have a viable option of $124. 

As I said, Optus appear to contract out to a third party for the $99 deal. This arrangement seems to give Optus no leeway in bringing the upgrade date forward. More flexibility is always good though - hopefully Optus look to revise their contract.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Im on $80 p/month plan. It was a 24nth plan which is due to end if November 2017. I would rather wait till the end of this month than pay to uograde. Even then, i might choose to stick with optus. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Morning @Claw - as mentioned by Peter, there is no fee to upgrade, and if there are any charges it's just your phone repayments. When you upgrade early, any discounts against your old phone are forfeit. If you're wanting to know how much it would be, you can check page 3 of your bill which will show the full amount for you phone and how many months it has left. Please note that as they're counted from 23 down, if there are 2 to go, there would be three handset charges remaining, 2,1 and then 0. You just need to add in the GST and then times that amount by how many repayments there are. Hope this helps. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos