cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

End of lease Phone Return Pre Dec 2017 Contract

Hi I'm really confused. I signed in May 2017 for 48 month contract (Account number *hidden*) which ended in May 2019. In November I changed providers and since been receiving "return the phone or else" messages. I have no problem returning the phone but the information on the CIS and on the website don't match.

The Website Says:

Can I cancel my Leasing contract and keep the phone?
This depends on what month you terminate the contract. 

0-12 months: If you purchased after 4 December, 2017, you will have to keep the phone. You will pay a plan cancellation fee plus all monthly device charges (which will be increased by any device credits lost as a result of early cancellation) for the remainder of the contract term.

If you purchased prior to 4 December, 2017, the above applies for the first 18 months of your minimum contract term. I leased my phone prior to December 2017

The CIS for my old plan that does not exist anymore $85 My Plan Flex says I need to return the phone within the 30 months. 

Before I posted this question, I did my due diligence.

• I went to the Optus Store in Castle Plaza SA and they were unable to help.
  • I called the Optus line but I was told the queue was very long and its best I call back later which I didn't get a chance to as I work varying hours.
  • I then spoke to the Optus Chat team in the middle of night -when I finally had a day off- and they also were unable to clarify.

I have been a loyal optus customer for years, and I only changed my plan to bundle it with my wife's who is on Vodafone but I am still looking at getting a fetch TV early next year. Therefore, in return for my loyalty I would kindly like some clarity and if possible, please don't say call us and contact me at your earliest convenience.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: End of lease Phone Return Pre Dec 2017 Contract

Hi El,

You are not alone in your confusion. However as far as I can read you haven't actually asked a question? What is it you want to know? 

Pre-empting that question I can say that most of the options you refer to have to do with cancelling your lease plan early. As you have already completed the lease then your options are much simpler.

1) You must now choose whether to buy the phone from Optus or return it to Optus (Optus own the phone currently - which is why they keep asking you for it)

2) If the phone is undamaged just take it to a store and hand it back or request a prepaid satchel be sent to you and send it back that way. Job Done

3) If the phone is damaged you will be billed for repairs ($300- $500)

4) You can also ask Optus now (in store or online) for a buy out figure for the phone. This doesn't take into account any damage and is a fixed non negotiable price. You can decide to accept that amount and buy the phone or hand it back as per 2 and 3 above.

Note that Optus will automatically assume you have decided to buy the phone if you don't return it within four months or so of the lease contract ending (I'm surprised they haven't already). So I suggest you get on to returning it soon if you don't want to keep it.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter @petergdownload 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and apologies if I didn't make sense.

In a nutshell, I wanted to know -based on the date my plan ended on May 2017- whether I was in the category of people able to keep the phone and not pay anything/return it or whether I needed to return it/pay for it.

I've got no issues with either to be honest. Just wanted to make sure if I had to or not.

Thanks again

EM

Ps. See below info that elicited my confusion.

Optus Terms.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi El,

You aren't cancelling your lease, you have reached the end of your lease so the info you're after is higher up on that page:

End of lease

1. You can return the phone in good working order to Optus.
Or:

2. You can make an offer to buy the phone at fair market value (which Optus will advise at the time)
Or:
3. You can continue the lease for up to 6 months by paying the monthly device charge and plan fee if you leased a mobile device between 5 May 2017 and 3 December 2017.

If the phone is not returned after the minimum term of your lease has finished and any permitted additional available months have lapsed, a non-return fee will be charged. The non-return fee will be the fair market value of the device at the time. Once the non-return fee is paid, you will own the phone.

I would suggest if you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.

If not, please Message Us here

We don't have access to customer accounts here on Yes Crowd.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I think the confusion stems from you jumping past the first 3 words in that text. "Can I cancel ..."

Your leasing plan has already concluded. You can't cancel it because it has already ended. At the moment you are way over due for either giving the phone back to Optus or agreeing to whatever price Optus tell you it will cost to by the phone from them.

Suggest you pick one option and act quickly otherwise Optus will make the choice for you (they will bill you for the phone)

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Top Contributors