There will be some channels leaving the Fetch service soon. Click here to find out what they are. Read the full story
2017-12-09 10:59 AM
Is there any way that existing Optus customers can get a decent deal for mobile plans? The SIM only plans that are put out for "new services only" seem to be the only Optus plans that are competitive in the market. Meanwhile, longstanding and loyal customers are being taken for a ride, with no decent offers available. I understand that I could take up a new phone number (this was seriously suggesed to me by a Sales rep!) or port out then back in, but if that is what customers are forced to do then Optus needs to take a serious look at their customer service. It's abundantly clear that Optus is simply preying on customer laziness. Is there ANY chance that decent deals might be made available any time soon?
2017-12-09 02:03 PM
Depends what you think is a good deal. The current $40 SIM only plan provides 15Gb and unlimited calls. Available to old and new customers.
I agree that the new customers often get a flah sale with very good terms, but if you're a bit patient they usually come around for existing customers every now and again. After a number of years as an Optus customer I currently pay $70 for two plans that share 27Gb a month.
But its not called the lazy tax for nothing. Find a deal you like somewhere else and after your contract expires port out (with your number). Do that for 12 months and port back to Optus and the new customer deal. Statistically less than 10% of customers will do that and Optus would rather lose them than have to say lower their monthly fee by $10 for the other 90% to try keep them.
2017-12-09 02:37 PM
The deal hunter will port out, to an ISP not cared about, to a $2 SIM, and then come right back again.
2017-12-20 09:50 PM
Put in a complaint to the telecommunications ombudsmen. I did.
2017-12-20 09:56 PM
The TIO ensures Telcos are performing up to their contractual expectations.
Generally they don't go around telling companies their deals are no good and they are legally obligated to offer better ones.
2017-12-20 10:49 AM
The $40 plan is actually a $30 plan (12 months) for new Optus customer. An existing customer pays $10 more.
2017-12-20 10:57 AM
Exactly. It's pathetically transparent that existing customers mean nothing. I can see exactly why Optus might do it but it's frustrating and hardly inspires faith from the customer base.