Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor garybne
Contributor

Dreading dealing with Boomerang Warranty repairs

A saga in teh making ...

I have found in the past that the Optus / Warranty repair service is the second worst service anywhere in the world.  (FYI the worst service I ever received was the Mumbai Post office – where all I wanted to do was buy stamps for post cards  - long story)

So this time I will log here the inevitable saga.

Monday 24th April.   I make some calls and people hang up  - turns out they can’t hear me. 

My Blackberry PRIV  (android)  is under contract and thus warranty ( thanks to the ACCC and the agreement Optus was pushed into)

I do some basic testing, try headset and handsfree, as well as BB diagnostics and check on forums.   It seems that Microphone 1 has failed.

I call Optus and explain it all -  I get an agreement that it needs to go to warranty repairs.     Before 8 am the call is logged and I get a BASC number and a promise to sent me a satchel to send to Warranty Centre.

The promise was that the total repair would take no more than 2 weeks.

TOTAL CALL TIME 17:08

Thursday 27th April – circa 4pm.     Satchel had still not arrived.      I called and speak to Karlos.   He investigates and guarantees that the satchel has been sent (by Aust Post Express Post)   and even gives me the tracking number. 

I check the tracking number - Australia Post has no record of even accepting the item.   I tell Karlos this.    He wants to check this himself - clearly labelling me as a lair?     He looks for himself and reluctantly agrees I am telling the truth.   Offers to send me a screen shot to prove he was correct -  off the Optus system - but then decides he cannot.

I point out that I was promised a 2 week total repair time.   If the satchel hasn’t even been sent on day 4 – then its impossible to meet that promise.    Karlos goes away and comes back with the actual schedule :

• 5 working days to post the scatchel  ( what the !!) 
  • 2 w days for satchel to arrive (untrue - express post should be one day)
  • Assume I work faster than Optus staff and send back satched the same day
  • 2 wdays for satchel to arrive at Optus ( untrue – as phones/ batteries cannot be sent by Air – ROAD ONLY.   So BNE to SYD is 3 or 4 days)
  • 2 days to report / effect repairs
  • NEXT day they ship back
  • 2 days for phone to arrive ( again untrue – ROAD only is 3 to 4 days)

The biggest time waste here is getting the satchel sent in the first place.     It should have been sent on Monday, given the issue was logged before 8 am.

In any case, based on the Karlos schedule above the total time is 12 working days.    So the Plan is already that they will take more than the 2 weeks promised.      Using the realistic known Australia Post times the above plan comes out to 16 working days or over 3 weeks!   

Loan phone?  Promised on the web site:   but never available  or as Karlos explained -  only for iphones.   That’s racist! lol

Karlos offered to follow up and call me every day.   That’s great service – if it happens.  

Total time on call 47:44        total time to date    1:04:52

PREDICTIONS

Based on past experience the repair staff fail to r e a d the issue notes, declare the phone “no fault” and send it back unrepaired.     It seems that you have to send it back 2 or 3 times for them to actually do any work.

Blackberry parts are available  - but the Optus warranty centre just send them to Blackberry and don’t do any work themselves - adding even more time.   So now we are up to an estimated 4 weeks or double the 2 week promise.

Or they just say “cant fix”    - but then the Blackberry PRIV is no longer sold, so they won’t offer me the same phone as I have and love.

I promised myself if I ever had to go through a repeat of past experience (3.5 month repair) I would log it all and keep contiguous notes so I have them for my Affidavit and the Judge.

Watch this saga unfold.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Re: Dreading dealing with Boomerang Warranty repairs

Hey Garybne - thanks for posing, very sorry for the late reply.

Have you had an update from the service centre? If you're needing this sorted, please shoot me a private message with your full name, DOB and the mobile number in question. Gen

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor garybne
Contributor

… and a week later.

So the express post ( next day) envelope arrived Friday.     It took from Monday morning until Thursday for Boomerang to just post me a return satchel.  (so the 2 week promised turnaround is already down the tubes)

I clear the phone – factory reset and send it in the supplied satchel on Monday.

This satchel is Road Only.   For some years they were Express Post  - Until I pointed out to Optus that sending phones (with batteries)  by air was Illegal. – or more accurately signing the declaration on the Optus supplied envelope and posting it to Boomerang was a crime.  Basically, Optus was thoughtlessly making every Boomerang client a breaker of the law  (the system won't let me sat the "C" word)  and putting at lives and Aircraft fires at risk. 

In any case the phone takes Australia Post from Monday to get from Brisbane to Friday 2:45pm to arrive at Granville Sydney.    It still has yet to get to the Boomerang distribution centre in Chullora.

Monday morning, exactly 14 days since the claim was lodged (and the 14 days I was told the process would take)  and Boomerang tracking still shown no movement.  They haven’t even seen the phone yet.

PREDICTIONS.  ( lets see how close I am in the enxt installment)

1. Boomerang will actually receive the phone Monday, but it will take until Tue or Wed to show up on the BASC system (they take 2 days to log in a phone)
  2. It will take until Thursday for a tech to say “we don’t fix Blackberry Priv” and either send it to Blackberry or more likely use an excuse “physical damage – not covered by warranty” (untrue but easy to declare if you are lazy)  
  3. Sending to Blackberry or sending back take us to Monday 15th 3 weeks
  4. As the phone is more than 12 months old, it may miss the manufacturer’s warranty but is covered by the ACCC enforced 24 month Warranty on all plan phones - so Optus will do all it can to avoid paying out.   Let’s see what form that takes

OH  - and Karlos the agent from the Philippines  who promised to call me every day to track how it is going?  - he never called once

Gary

PS  - if you are thinking I am being pedantic / bitter and twisted  - my last experience with Optus warranty repair took over 3 months.   At one stage they declared “water damage” without even opening the phone.   CS gave me permission to have the phone professionally inspected.   I did so and got a report with photos showing zero water damage.   CS even refunded the $35 inspection fee and the phone and report was sent back to Boomerang.     Boomerang then declared the warranty void because the phone had been opened as evidenced by the tamper seals.   What the!!!!!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Can get you'd be frustrated. If you'd like a hand, please send the above details in a private message. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor garybne
Contributor

Thanks Mod Gen R.

There is little you can do to assist me at this stage.

What you can do fo rteh entire community is 

1.  Change the system  so that satchels get sent out the same day  - not days later

2.  Use a faster system though stores - I wasnt even given the store option - but they too must be obliged to send teh same day.

The web site and call centre staff promise a repair shoud take 2 weeks.    But as shown it takes 2+ weeks just to get the phone to land on a repir desk:  so the promise is never ever going to be fulfilled.    

Customer satisfaction is based on expectations  - the rule of thumb is under promise and over deliver.   You now do the opposite.

Its cheaper to buy my own phone and get a sim only plan.   But I paid a lot more just to get the service.   The extras which you are again failing to deliver.   Expectations 8/10      result 1/10    satisfaction rating  - 7  

Gary 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

More than happy to pass the feedback on. We can also contact Boomerang directly and request updates for you if you ever need them. 

0 Kudos
Contributor garybne
Contributor

Update.  Wednesday 10 May.   Day 17

Boomerang has not even logged in or acknowledged receipt of the phone posted 10 days ago.

Australia Post tracking shows it was in Sydney last Friday.

The Optus web site still declares that most  repairs take 5 to 10 working days.    We are up to calendar day 18 and no work has commenced.    Ridiculous.

This looks like being a long story.

0 Kudos
Contributor garybne
Contributor

Today, Friday is exactly 2 weeks.     Finally Australia Post is showing “delivered” at 5:41 am.

BASC has not acknowledged receipt or logged it in yet.   From past experience that takes another 2 days before it even gets allocated to a Tech.

So in the “5 to 10 “ days promise  , ten days is just tied up in excessive delays before it even gets to a tech.

What does bug me is built in failures that are never fixed.    Management Incompetence   Consider this.  

1 The written promise is 5 to 10 business days - on your web site in writing

2 The system relies on sending me a satchel, to send the phone to you.   The Australia Post standards are next day for the satchel sent to me and 4 days for the road only satchel sent too boomerang.    That’s a minimum of 5 days before you even see the Phone.    So, 5 days’ service is impossible 

3 Let’s say you get the phone in 5 W days, fix it in one day and send it back.  Return post is 4 days also.     So, we are up to 10 Days as an absolute MINIMUM not the maximum the promise infers.

Boomerang promises 5 to 10 days.     But that is impossible given the built-in Transport system installed by management.    What they have designed is an absolute minimum of 10 days - but as we see in my case its now a minimum of 15 days +

It’s not just me that’s disappointed.    Boomerang must have a 100% failure rate on the 5 to 10 days’ promise.  

The Fix is easy -  but in 3 years nothing has been done.   how can management keep their jobs with a 100% failure rate and no changes?

OPTIONS TO FIX THE OPTUS SYSTEM

1 Don’t promise 5-10 days   Give an honest promise you can keep

2 if the system is that you log a call, and then someone in Australia sends me a satchel - cut down that process to same day (if call is before 4pm) instead of the current 4 days you took.   All it is is printing a label and a form and stuffing that in an envelope – 3 minutes work that takes 4 days to perform.

3 Don’t rely on sending me a satchel - a task that took 5 days. Instead do what Olympus and many other warranty services do. hey email me (instantly) an Australia Post voucher / address label and I take that to the Post office.  At the PO they can use the number to print out the label - pack it and post it off. (or I can do it all at home and drop in a post box).   From call to posting can take just 30 minutes.

4   Don’t Use Australia Post Road      Use Toll next day road, or Startrack (owned by Aust Post) That would reduce 2 x 4 days to 2 x 1 days   i.e. cut 6 whole days out of the service times.  

This isn’t rocket science.    But retaining a system with 100% failure rate is just plain dumb.

Gary

PS    and Karlos - The Pinoy agent who promised to phone me daily to check on this?   never called once.    again a policy of over promise and under deliver.   

Occasional Contributor Auswolf
Occasional Contributor

This is a little concerning, I just recently dropped off my samsung S5 phone at an optus shop to be repaired under warranty due to either a fault somewhere in regards to the charging and discharging of the phone. Guess I am going to have to wait and see what happens. I won't be happy if they either A. Send it back with a no fault found or B. Deliberately damage the phone to void my warranty. Other than the fault it is in excellent condition due to investing in an OtterBox and a Glass screen protector and up until before it started slow charging and dropping draining fast on battery was a great phone. Some of the posts on here of past experiences are concerning and I hope I get my phone back repaired and not damaged.

0 Kudos
New Contributor denboy300
New Contributor

Optus why cant you just use a repair warranty company who do a good job? How hard is it? There must be a lot of companies in the world who could do a better job of looking after people's phone service/repair needs. Do you need me to come in and show you how to run a business? FYI My phone has been MIA with the boomerang idiots for 5 weeks now. Reading the torrent of complaints about this service I guess I should be getting ready to move to another company if I ever want to have a working phone again. Why is it so hard Optus?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors