Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Pulapalu
New Contributor
New Contributor

Downgrading phone plan

Is it possible to downgrade a phone plan? I currently don't use near the amount of data on my plan so I'm just wasting money at this point

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Downgrading phone plan

Optus explicitly state they will only change contract customers to an equal or higher contract. You should try:

1) Contact Optus and ask for the current payout figure on your contract (it may be much less than you think)

2) If you don't care about the phone number you could try swap bills (and SIMs) with someone else who wants more data.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there Pulapalu,

Just wanting to confirm you're in a contract? If so then some good advice from Peter. If you started on a lower plan with an appropriate amount of data then it's likely you'd be paying more for the new handset you got with the plan so it kind of balances out. I'm the same, I think my plan comes with 50GB but I only ever use about 5GB each month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Pulapalu
New Contributor
New Contributor

It seemd that Optus is the only provider that doesn't allow their customers to downgrade their plans, that doesn't seem entirely right.

Maybe it'll just be easier to cancel and go with Telstra, at least you have actual control over what you pay for with their service.

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Confirming Peter's advice, your best bet is to contact Optus to find out what the fee is. It's not a matter of being allowed to, it's what is the cost of doing so.

Customers agree to enter a contract to receive the new phone at subsidised cost or $0 upfront that comes with it, fees would apply to reduce/break this agreement at a later date. I don't think any provider would for example give a customer the latest iPhone for an agreement of $80 over 24 months and then agree to reduce that to say $50 for the remaining 21 months under normal circumstances which in essence is what I think you're asking?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Unchained_Pat
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Other providers may let you change your plan to lower but you pay retail price for your phone spread over 24-36 months as its not subsidised by the plan.

0 Kudos
Grex
New Contributor
New Contributor

0 Kudos