cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Donate Your Data

With the launch of Donate Your Data, we’re now giving eligible Postpaid and Prepaid customers the opportunity to donate a portion of their monthly data allowance to young Australians in need. 

Eligible customers on consumer plans will be able to donate their data from the 2nd of December 2019.

To learn more about how your unused data will benefit young Australians in need, head to Optus.com.au/donate-your-data

How does it work?

Prepaid and Postpaid customers on selected rate plans are eligible to donate. You can donate your data multiple times per month via either the My Optus app (for Optus Postpaid customers) or via SMS (for Optus Prepaid customers). To find out how you can participate, see below.

Donated data will be distributed to young Australian’s in need identified by our charity partners, including The Smith Family.

Postpaid customers

Postpaid customers can donate via the My Optus app. Fleet customers and customers on Tech fund and Unleashed plans are not eligible to donate.

Eligibility

• All eligible consumer plans (from 2nd December)
  • You’ll need to be registered for My Account and logged in via the My Optus app.
  • Only the account holder will be able to submit a donation
  • You must have at-least 6GB of data remaining in your data pool to donate. The maximum amount you can donate in one request is 10GB. Each donation must leave you with at least 5GB of remaining data in your Data Pool

Keep in mind, Postpaid customers must wait 12 hours before submitting another donation.

To donate, follow the steps below:

Optus_0-1575195548193.png

numbers.JPG

1) Once you’ve opened the My Optus, tap the, “Donate Your Data” banner

2) Chose the amount data you’d like to donate (up to a maximum of 10GB)

3) After submitting your donation, you'll see a confirmation in-app

The data is debited from your data pool and is reflected in your remaining data balance. Data usage information is typically updated every 4 hours.

Prepaid customers

Eligibility: Customers on the below rate plans are eligible to donate:

• My Prepaid Ultimate
  • My Prepaid Ultra
  • My Prepaid Ultra Plus
  • New Turbo Cap Plus
  • Optus Crew Cap
  • Optus Prepaid Cap
  • Optus Prepaid Epic Data
  • Optus Prepaid Epic Value
  • Optus Prepaid Supercharge
  • Prepaid Ultimate Plus
  • Super Cap by Optus
  • Turbo Cap Bonus

Keep in mind, donations will be taken from MyData and cannot be donated from MyData Rollover. The maximum donation you can submit in one request is 5GB. You must have at least 2GB of data remaining on your service to donate, and selected donation options will be offered to you depending on your balance.

To donate, follow the steps below:

1. SMS the word, “donate” to 4567
  2. After recharging $30 or more, you’ll be sent an SMS asking if you’d like to donate data
  3. Depending on your current data balance, you’ll be presented with different donation options You will need to have a MyData balance of at least 2GB to be eligible to donate
  4. You’ll receive a confirmation SMS after successfully submitting your donation
  5. Donations will appear as usage when tracking your data via the My Optus app 
  6. Should you want to donate at any time between receiving reminder texts from us, simply text “donate” to 4567 and follow the prompts

FAQ’s 

Q: Can I claim a tax deduction for my data donation?

A: Optus is not a deductible gift recipient (DGR). You should seek your own independent tax advice. 

Q: Who will be receiving the data that is donated, and how is it shared?

A: Optus will donate your data to young Australians in need supported by Optus together with our charity partners including The Smith Family.  Please refer to optus.com.au/donate-your-data for more details.

Q: Can I ask for my data to be donated to a different charity?

A: At this stage, data donations will be made to The Smith Family. We are however looking at working with other charity partners in the future so stay tuned!

Q: How do prepaid customers opt-out from receiving future Donate Your Data texts?

A: If you would like to opt-out of Donate your Data you can SMS ‘cancel’ to 4567 at any time.

Q: I cannot see the option to donate my data in the My Optus app?

A: In order to see the option to donate your data please ensure that you have the latest version of the My Optus app and are on an eligible plan. 

Q: If I’m sharing data with my other Postpaid Mobile services including Postpaid Mobile Broadband on my account, will the donation be taken out of the data pool?

A: Yes, the donation will be taken out of your data pool. You will need to have a minimum of 6GB left in your data pool to be able to donate.

Q: What happens if I have donated too much data?

A: All data donations made through Donate your Data are final and cannot be reversed. Please consider your monthly data needs before donating. If you have donated in error, please contact us. 

Q: Can I donate my data if I am a small business customer?

A: SoHo/Micro mobile customers will be eligible to donate the My Optus app in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for more info!

Q: As a prepaid customer, what will happen if I respond with two donation amounts in my donation SMS?

A: Only one donation amount will be accepted for example if you respond with “2GB 1GB” 2GB will be accepted as your donation. 

Q: If I am a recipient of Donate Your Data can I also donate data?

A: No, if you are currently a participant in the Donate Your Data program you are not eligible to donate your data.

9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Donate Your Data

20Gb donated today, more to follow over next few weeks 🙂

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Awesome! @Paddylee 

Just donated my first lot of 10GB. More to come 🙂

@Ray_YC , @Alistar  you're up next. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

This is a brilliant initiative, I easily have 40GB+ unused every month.

Just tried to make multiple donations but got the limited to once every 12 hours message *coughjustestingthatitworkedcough*.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Just set up an alarm every 12 hours

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Great initiative, just donated 10GB this morning.

Would be good to have the option to opt-in for auto donations at the end of the month....

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Yescrowd now has a "Donate your data" badge 🙂

Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

A really good initiative from Optus. I have a large phone data plan which I only really use 6 months of the year when away in my caravan. Now I'll feel a lot better not wasting this data.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor tobyseus
New Contributor

Agreed! Only reason I came here is to suggest a data direct debit at the end of the bill cycle. Sometimes I use half my data, most of the time I only use 10-20%, and I would not be mad if my leftover 25gb at the end of the month were just donated, considering there's no rollover.

Heck, why even need to opt in, just do it automatically!
New Contributor SMCD
New Contributor

I would like to set up an automatic data donation, but in a separate messaging contact with Optus I was told that they will not implement this and gave some waffly half answers as to why an auto donation won't be implemented. Optus should provide the following functionality:
1. Auto donate all excess data on last day of my bill cycle
2. Auto donate up to X GB of data on last day of bill cycle

I have paid for this data, but not used it. I should be able to EASILY donate it each month. I should not have to remember my billing cycle last day.

Donating data is a great initiative by Optus, but it is only partially implemented. Come on Optus. Don't be a good corporate citizen. Be a great one.