cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor LaurenM
Occasional Contributor

Don't want to change data plan to more money less data

I'm buying a new handset, which is great, only $20 per month. I'm very happy with that because I'm getting the phone I want for $180 less than the cheapest place I could find it outright, and I've been happy with Optus the whole time I've been using this service.

However I had to pick a plan in order to purchase it and the options were very limited.

The plan I picked is $39 (the 'Small' plan; a total of $59/month with handset) but it only has 10GB data.

The plan I'm currently on ($35 My Promo Plus 12M SIM) is $35 with 30GB data.

I am really, really not impressed that I'm going to be paying $4/month more for a THIRD of the data.

How do I get this fixed? I've left messages on the messaging service but had no response and there's no way to get back to that message from my profile and no record of it. I would have preferred to be able to send an email to keep a record of communication.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Don't want to change data plan to more money less data

You can buy the phone outright or you can select one of the new plans - thats your only 2 options.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus recently restructured all its pricing. The price of data has gone up across the board. The phone pricing is no longer discounted and just a set amount on the side of the plan. I'm glad you found a good deal on one you wanted. However the plan price you will have is the one you signed up for. You don't sign a contract and decide to renegotiate a better price afterwards.

On the plus side, Optus now only do month to month contracts so you are free to leave now without penalty if you want. You would have to pay out the whole phone cost but that's at a good price as you say.

There may be other SIM only options that suit your data needs better. Circle.Life resell the Optus network and offer 20Gb for $18 a month.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Whenever you're buying bundles or packages of any type you always need to consider the cost of everything in the bundle/package, not just one the one component that you are interested.

This is the marketing game they play, and sometimes the bundle is good value to a given person, and some times is not. Because phones are so expensive these days, they know that many people can't afford to (or just don't want to) buy them outright, so they entice people into these bundles with "cheaper" phones.

As @petergdownload says, if its a month-to-month contract they maybe consider switching and paying out the phone if you can afford to.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors