Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor charlie675
New Contributor

Do you usually get billed before the end of the billing period?

I just switched to Optus after more than 15 years with Virgin, who are now phasing out. At Virgin, I always got my bill after the end of the billing period with a due date 2 weeks after the period end. I've just received my first Optus bill for the full plan amount, but I've only been connected for 3 days. The billing period doesn't even end until 15 August, but the due date for the payment is 1 August. Is this normally how Optus billing works?? The bill makes it clear that I'm being billed for the 16 June to 15 August period, not for any other costs. Seems completely weird to me that I can be invoiced for a period that hasn't even ended yet.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor charlie675
New Contributor

Re: Do you usually get billed before the end of the billing period?

Don't worry, I answered my own question when I finally noticed this on the bill: http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/first-bill.

I'm really peeved that the consultant who signed me up NEVER mentioned this requirement to pay the first month in advance. It means I now have a double bill (old provider's from last month, and then this one). Would have been great if that had been made clear instead of being a surprise on the bill. All the sighs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Do you usually get billed before the end of the billing period?

I'm sorry this wasn't explained at point of sale @charlie675

Month in advance billing is the industry standard.

We'll bill you a month in advance and any excess usage in arrears. The first invoice is always a bit confusing. You're being charged pro-rata from the day you've been activated up until the day you're assigned bill cycle date. If you do have any other questions for us, let us know. We're happy to help out. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors