cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Do I lose my prepaid number instantly when transferring all credit out?

Does any one have experience of transferring prepaid credits between two Optus prepaid numbers?

I want to consolidate my Optus prepaid numbers and transfer credit from one number to another but still keep the old number to port out. It is a really good number and I don't want to lose the contacts.

I asked Optus support, they said once credit transfer is done the old number will disconnected immediately and I will lose the number. But one friend did this (year beflore) said he had the old number active with 0 balance for 6 months. The mixed answers made me confused. I hope any one did the transfer recently or any one from Optus can clarify.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Do I lose my prepaid number instantly when transferring all credit out?

Prepaid numbers generally remain yours for six months after your last recharge ended. Obviously Telco's don't want to be revoking numbers just because someone was sick and missed a top up for a few days.

It is possible for Optus to retire your number earlier than 6 months but not usual. Why not leave a few credits or recharge your number for a week just to make sure?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey tooblue,

Transferring all the credit out shouldn't be an issue.

Optus allows 186 days after the last recharge expires to receive calls before the service is cancelled off the network.

So it depend on when the last recharge of that service is. Listen to your friend for this one 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Come to answer my own question after trying in March 2020.

Yes, I did lose my number immediately ("Optus the number you dialed has been disconnected") after transferring credit to another Optus number under my name. It does not matter whether you transfer the whole credit or only partial credit (forfeit the remaining).

I am not sure if it is policy change or just bad luck of talking to a different agent. Friend did get to keep the number for another 6 months after transferring credit out.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors