cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Disconnected Prepaid service over 3 months

My partner has recently been a victim of identity theft (phone was also stolen) - we have had an absolute nightmare trying to recover his information and data. Some of his accounts which were compromised are tied to a previous prepaid number - disconnected and according to Optus, past the point of reconnection. I recently updated my own plan and asked about requesting the specific number as a "special/silver number". The respone was a whole lot of waffle, no guarantee it could be done and a fee would have to be paid to apply - I asked what the fee was and was told "possibly $500!!" before knowing it wqsa available?? It seemed like I was being given the run around.

So I called optus and was told "sorry no, we don't do that" according to choice, Optus does - but again, no disclosure on how much it will cost.

I tried then requesting this number through a competitor who disclosed their prices (less than $100).

BUT

Then they said they can't because even though the number is disconnected - it is the property of Optus...who are the only provider capable of reactivating.

Ive made a call back to Optus, and again have been told it cannot be done. 

The whole situation has been a massive stress for my partner and myself. Luckily we have been able to recttify the issue with some of his information - but our biggest drama is accessing his email and facebook. Without the number we cannot gain access to these (both of which were hacked - passwords changed 3 weeks ago).

Is there nothing that can be done at all? It is so baffling that a disconnected number (in his name) cannot be reconnected to a new sim - prepaid or plan. We don't care which, would just like the number back.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Disconnected Prepaid service over 3 months

Getting a specific old number (provided that its available of course) should be straight forward.

The price should be between $77 - $132 (2018 prices) according to this.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

And when you talk to Optus ask to speak with the "number management team".

0 Kudos

Hi @AddieKirst

As @YetAnotherAcc has mentioned, if your partner's prepaid number is still available, our teams should still be able to assist in reestablishing the same service number for your partner. 

Would your partner have a social media profile? As we are unable to look into account details here, I would suggest referring your partner to send a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page

Our Social Media teams will then be able to securely confirm his details and provide further assistance from there.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey there AddieKirst,

The roadblock appears to be how long exactly has your husband's Prepaid service been cancelled and why it was cancelled. For example if it wasn't active very long or was just left to expire because it wasn't recharged for six months after the last recharge expired, generally manager approval for re-establishment is required. If it's been more than 90 days he'll need a new SIM. If it's been more than 180 days, he won't be able to get the number back. This of course should all be known by the Optus staff who you have already been in contact with so I don't understand what the issue is, unless it's been more than 180 days.

You mentioned he doesn't have his Facebook at the moment, I would suggest contacting our Social Media team from your own profile and hopefully @Serena_YC or another member of the team can give your husband a call to complete the ID check and proceed from there.

If re-establishing the Prepaid number can be done then you won't have to worry about paying Postpaid specific number fees, etc. he'll just need to keep it active. The Phone Number Management is an internal team, they don't have contact with customers.  

Good luck, let us know how you go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC 

So are you saying that prepaid numbers never get returned to the pool of publicly available numbers after their quarantine period ends?

Or a you saying that you can't choose your own number anymore (if its available) if you pay the number change fee as Dan explained was doable in the post I linked to?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It's not clear how long the number has been cancelled and it's availability so it's hard to give a definite solution here.
This situation primarily involves needing to re-establish a Prepaid service.
If it's been more than 180 days and the number is available, then the fees would apply to activate the specific service number again as a Postpaid service. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos