Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Paxation
New Contributor
New Contributor

Device protect insurance

Hi all,

Unfortunately during a trip to Sydney some time ago my device was stolen. I have since attempted to claim this on my device protect insurance. I was told I'd get a reply within 5 days and it is now coming up on 3+ weeks. 

I have a trip coming up soon overseas and am currently using a backup device which is horribly unreliable. Forking out money for a new device is the next step but cash flow is tight. I'd like to sort this before departing, however whenever I call Optus insurance they either tell me,

a) There's a note against your claim stating it is still pending review

or

b) Your claim HAS been reviewed and you can expect a call back today (Twice now, no reply and have reverted to statement (a) after saying this!)

I find this to be ridiculous and feel like I'm being stuffed around. Is it worth approaching the financial ombudsman to file a complaint? Don't even know why I'm paying for device protect at this stage. First time Optus customer, likely last.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Device protect insurance

It does sound like pretty crummy treatment. The Optus Insurance is  handled by a third party I believe so Optus staff may not have direct control over the claims process. Unfortunately in a case like this there's not much you can do IMO. Complaints to ombudsman are all very good but can take months.

The Insurance PDS says nothing about response times unfortunately. 

I can only suggest contact them again (1800 501 971) and try find someone to actually confirm what is happening or needs to be done. I wouldn't agree to an offer of furture contact just an answer while you wait.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Device protect insurance

Hey @Paxation - thanks for reaching out! Sounds like a very frustrating experience. Can you please confirm your full name, DOB and mobile number via PM, so we can take a look? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos