Searching...

Mobile

Detecting Mobile Coverage

cedric48

Optus Ref: 19663832 (TIO Ref: 20181003172)

Please forward to Peter.

Peter, the fellow who served me in the Greensborough store knew nothing about the search frequency slowing down after you have been out of coverage for some time.

Would you please tell me:

Q1)  Now that I have a new SIM, will it still slow down to the same extent?

Q2) How long do you have to be out of coverage area before the search frequency slows down?

Q3)  What does it slow down to after this period out of range?  (when will I have to switch aeroplane mode an and off to check if I am back within a signal area?

If you can immediately answer these questions, please immediately advise when I can expect an answer?

Re: Detecting Mobile Coverage

petergdownload

Hi @cedric48

I suspect almost no one would know anything about search frequency. Its a highly technical variable that is related to your phone manufacturer not your service provider (Optus can't control how many times you 'search' for them).

Manufacturer's slow the frequency once out of coverage because standard mobile behavior is/was to increase power consumption to broadcast a stronger signal in the hope a signal could be regained. If you are truely out of range then this process only resulted in a dead battery very quickly.

Sounds like you should run some local tests to see how your phone performs.

Peter Gillespie 

cedric48

Don't know if you are the same Peter as spoke to me yesterday.

But if you are, please remember that I told you:

1) this is a new phone

2) I first went to the retailer, and they (either retailer or the manufactiruer (Nokia) phoned me back when I could take no notes, and advised Optus have to fix this problem.  They used some term I can't remember, maybe something like Push Through.

3)  I contacted Optus tech support who know nothing !!!

4)  After I lodged a case with the TIO, Optus called me and told me I needed a new SIM card.  They SMS-ed me the ref nos I quoted.  That Peter also explained that after a certain time out of coverage the nos of times it looks for a network drops from maybe every second or more to far fewer.

5)  I got the SIM card from Greensborough store, but that fellow knew nothing about how often it looks for a network when out of caverage, hence my questions.

6)  I told Peter that I assume Optus has coverage of the Newell highway, so I was back in a network area for more than and hour, probably 2 hours, when it was still displaying the "Emergency calls only" message, even in the middle of Coonabarabran where there is a strong signal.

Summary

So I am now left with Optus telling me it is a problem with my new phone, and the retailer or manufacturer telling me it is a problem Optus have to fix.

If the TIO has passed this to Optus, maybe they should not just "pass the buck" !! 

I gave you your Ref nos, so I expect you to pass it to the person handling this.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

No I'm not that peter. 

It sounds like you have an issue with reception in your home area? In this case Optus generally will end any contract and you can look elsewhere for options. Buying a few prepaid $10 Sims for testing is a good strategy.

Fwiw TIO are generally focused on Optus fulfilling its contractual obligations. First actions are generally just ask Otis what is going on and give Optus time to respond/deal. It sounds like Optus are being proactive in trying to sort your issue though?

NB this is a public forum, not a help desk. Call or live chat Optus for specific issues

Peter Gillespie

Aman_B

Hi @ cedric48  - Apologies with the issues you've had with your coverage. I've checked  your fault reference and can see techs are still working on it.  Just to confirm you've already got a new SIM and activated it? If the issue is still happening after the SIM change then please reply Help to the SMS from  faults team and a case manager will call you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

cedric48

"It sounds like you have an issue with reception in your home area?"

Not sure where you got this from.  I am talking about my experience a few weeks back, when I was 1000+ Km from home, in an area where it was no surprise that there was no Optus signal.  But I was not expecting that when I returned to areas covered by Optus signals, it did not pick up the network.

Now I don't know who to believe.  As previously stated, the retailer/manufacturer (JB HiFi/Nokia) tell me it is a problem Optus have to fix.  No matter who I contact in Optus, they can't tell me the term for the problme that the retailer/manufacturer used, ie seems that despite trying my hardest to contact Optus Tech Support, plus lodging complaints with the TIO, I haven't yet made contact with anyone who understands the problem.

And now the person handling my TIO complaint has marked the case complete, asking me to make contact again if their solutions to date have not solved the problem.  They know I won't be in a remote area like that for months, and they will not give me the info I need, in order to know if the problem is fixed, ie they have ended the case without telling me either how long after moving out of Optus coverage until the phone reduces it's frequency of looking for the network, nor what search frequency it drops to.  Without those 2 figures I can't work out what is going on next time I go outside the Optus coverage area.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

From your efforts it sounded like this was a daily issue when you commuted to the next suburb, lost coverage and had a delay in reconnecting. Not an occasional 1000 km trip.

FWIW with an unusual issue like this help support from any company will throw out possibilities and it's easy to get stuck on a wrong bit of information. All phones initially increase power consumption to maintain coverage as needed but then reduce it to save power. It's not a hugely complex process. Phones might go from checking in every 5 seconds to every 2 minutes. Again though, this is a function of individual phones and not network towers.

FWIW TIO has closed your case because you are asking a 1% question about imperfect technology (To use a tautology) The TIO is mostly concerned with Telco's fulfilling their broad contractual arrangements which optus would appear to be doing in your case. 

If you are after empiricale data then I would suggest you run some trials to test the situation yourself. Put your phone on the fridge for 5 minutes. Reception gone. See what happens when you bring it out and how long it takes to reconnect. Try 10, 20, 30 60, 300 minutes to see if the result changes. 

If you want to discount the Optus Network being the problem grab a $2 Telstra prepaid  SIM and plug that into your phone and repeat the test. 

Be interested in your findings.

Peter Gillespie

NB I don't know if you turned on (had auto turned on) any power saving features of your phone while out of coverage, but that could also impact reconnecting to the network when coverage resumed.

Shauna

Apologies for the miscommunication, @cedric48

Can you please send through a private message confirming any account details you have, along with your full name and DOB? 

We'll take a look on our end and investigate your complaint. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

cedric48

Peter,

Confirming this is Optus case 19663832.  Just one of the many problems in getting anywhere with this is that lots of Optis staff seem to be delaing with it, independantly of each other.  Also, too many Optus systems don't work, eg I have just missed a call from (02) 8049 0000.  Obviously I can't SMS that nos back, also when I call it I get a recorded message that gives me no opportunity to speak to anyone, then it hangs up.  It also sent a voicemail with the volume turned down so low I can't understand anything of it.  The case is also being handled by 0481 809 904.

I have just SMS-ed that mobile "JB HiFi have just sent me written advice that the most likely cure is "Optus has to push through some carrier updates".

Please refer that advice to a competent technician for advoce on what it means.  And please keep me advised on progress."

cedric48

This is Optus case 19663832.

How do I send you the private message you want?  And please refer to the answer I have just sent Peter Gillespie.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
102 Kudos
82 Kudos
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
71 Kudos