Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor nsfish
Occasional Contributor

Delaying refund process

My wife(Jihye) applied for a new phone and plan on online in May and then canceled it immediately.

But the phone and SIM card were delivered.

Because of the cancellation, my wife did not open or activate or use them. And put them back in the return package and sent them back to shipping dock (There is also a receipt for this.)

However, on 4th of July, $ 49.01 went out of our bank account automatically. When my wife checked it out with "Live chat", it is said that the sim card that was sent back was used and the payment was charged. Even though never activate or use it!

So 6th of July, through the 'Live Chat', my wife explained the situation to the staff and got a promise about the refund twice as below.

Live chat - 06/07/18

Great. I have successfully processed a $49.01 credit on your account and you can use this reference number ge-1807-uch as your confirmation.

Live chat - 20/07/18
Thank you for patiently waiting, Jihye. I was able to apply the credit on the account. Once your account is on credit I will be the one who will process the refund request for you not to waste your time contacting us back with the same reason.
Once I was able to process a refund request I will be sending you a confirmation SMS. Please wait until Wednesday for the process because the credit usually applies after 24-48 hrs.
You will be receiving the credit via cheque.
May I have the address where we can send the cheque?

Of course my wife taught him the address, and she waited for the letter. But we did not hear anything until 24th of July.

Therefore, We once again had a 'Live chat' to explain the situation and receive a promise of a refund as below.

Live chat - 24/07/18

Teena: Hi there! I’m just reading the previous chat and will be with you in a minute.

You: Thank you.

Teena: You're welcome.
Thank you for waiting, I really do appreciate your patience.?
I see that the credits has been applied to your account and you will see the credits in the upcoming bill as the credits were applied recently.

You: But I've got a message like that

"Optus Msg: This is to advise that you have no credit balance on the account. The payment you processed is for your first month of service. There will be no cheque that will be sent becuase you have $0 credit on the account. Thanks, Brian. For self-service options, download the My Optus app yesopt.us/myoptusapp"

What I want to fix is that I was charged for an account I did not use.
I never use that account, but why I paid?
3 week ago, one of your staff saying

"Great. I have successfully processed a $49.01 credit on your account and you can use this reference number ge-1807-uch as your confirmation."

But nothing happen after that.

Teena: Let me check your notes. 
Please allow me 2 to 3 minutes.

You: Ok take your time

Teena: Thank you.
I had check on the account and see that $1,035.46 has been waived off from the account.

3:35 PM

You: Of course it should. I canceled it as soon as I received the mobile and returned it.
So I never use it.
But charged.
Optus taken my money.

3:38 PM

Teena: Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.

You: Okay

Teena: Jihye, so your first bill was generated on 16/06/18 for $49.01 and you have made the payment of same amount on 04/0/18. 
The next bill was issued on 16/07/18 for $1035 and this amount is waived off from Optus end

You: I understand. But why first bill was generated unless I never used it?
it'd automatically made the payment in my bank account.

Teena: The first bill was a month in advance bill.
Month in advance is the security deposit for your plan and it is not for the usage made. So you have received the first bill once the plan was activated.

You: Sorry for that. But It can not be. I did not use, as I said repeatly because I returned the machine with a SIM card as soon as I received it.
I never open both - sim card and mobile

Teena: I understand that you have not used the phone. 
I will go ahead and credit the $49 to your account.

You: Thanks. But how to make it?

Teena: I will go ahead and credit the $49 to your optus account. Once the account will show it is in credit, the amount will be credited to your bank account.

You: Thank you.
I feel grateful for what you have understood and helped. However, I feel uncomfortable about the complexity of work processing.
I may have already talked about this many times.

Teena: You're welcome.
I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Can you please help me with your email address to send the details of the refund?

You: From a few weeks, few staff of Optus would give me credit, but nothing ever happened.
Thanks anyway
My email address is
dy*******@n******.com

Teena: You're welcome. Not to worry the $49 will be credited your account. This will take 3 to 5 business days.

You: I'm really appreciate your kindly help.

Teena: Thank you.

Teena: The receipt number is 950077192-25747
You're welcome.
I have applied the credit to your account and you will receive the credits to your account within 3 to 5 business days.

You: the amount will be credited to your bank account. right? my bank

Teena: Yes that's correct.

However, we have not heard anything so far (until now). Are the staff lying? Who can fix this situation? Should we report to a mobile-related Ombudsmen?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Crowd Champion MiCCAS
Crowd Champion

Re: Delaying refund process

Hi there!

Sorry - it definitely sounds like it's been a difficult process getting your refund. The are staff on these forums who can help 🙂

In the Mentone, can you see the credit balance when you log into Optus My account?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button 🙂
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @nsfish - really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with all this information.

I think I have a clear understanding of your issue. Can you please send me a private message confirming the mobile number in question, your full name and DOB?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor nsfish
Occasional Contributor

I've sent. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Cheers! 🙂

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors