Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Debt collectors are seeking a debt for the wrong person

My partner has a common name and he is being saught after for a debt that is not his, he currently has an optus account that he always pays on time and never had any issue with but they are seeking renumiration for an account that is not his, we did a credit check and it didn't come up then put a deposit on a car and it has now come up. we might loose the deposit on the car and or have to pay someone else's debt!!! I have been a loyal customer of Optus for over 10years and never had any issue I am so very dissapointed 😞 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Debt collectors are seeking a debt for the wrong person

Understand the frustration unfortunately optus do not seem to have a process for dealing with debtors after a certain stage. I believe they simply sell the debt to a debt collection agancey and move on. That said, definitely contact them and ask what it was specifically that the debt has been spent on. Also what DOB / Address etc. is associated with the debt.

You definitely won't have to pay someone elses debt, and hopefully a single bad (incorrect) credit mark won't be enough to upset your deposit / loan. Its a bit unusual that a credit mark has been made just on a name mix up so its also possible someone used your husbands ID (including DOB) to purchase something from Optus (e.g. Identity Theft)

At this stage you need to contact the Ratings Agency and request they remove the incorrect item. They'll step you through what you might need to do. It will be free. Whatever you do don't pay any online "Credit Cleaning" agencies etc. They're all just scams.

You can read what you need to do here

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Gen92, this sounds really stressful and I'd like to help, can you please send me a PM with the relevant account details and I can get someone to look into it for you? 

Thanks.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi  @Felicity_YC,

If it is ID Theft then I've seen a few bizarre threads where the victim is unable to get any information from Optus because they can't identify themselves as an exact match for the account. presumably Optus will have cancelled/frozen the current account of a non paying customer before/when sending out debt collectors (which isn't the case here). That would suggest whatever account has been flagged is not the OPs. Hopefully its sortable.

In this day and age with ID Theft being an increasing issue (both for companies and individuals) a company the size of Optus really should have a dedicated department and process for acting on the problem efectively and fast.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @petergdownload, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and get it sorted out. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos