cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Kajumpi
New Contributor

Datasim for mobile phone

Hi, Can I use OPTUS data only SIM for my mobile phone?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Datasim for mobile phone

Hi

I cannot see why you shouldn't if you want to access the internet from your phone.   If you want to set up your phone as a hotspot I think this would depend on the plan.   Some plans, I believe, don't allow tethering.

You may have to add the APN.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Kajumpi
New Contributor

Thanks, Dave

I raised this question here because I have contacted Vaya and was told that they could not be sure if the their "data only" sims worked on phones as those sims are made for tables. I simply thought a sim was a sim, did not know sims for data plans only were different from sims for mobile plans used on phones. What do you think? Please help.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi

I am sure they are the same.   look at this post on Vodafone community:

https://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Windows-Phone-Mobile-Broadband/Mobile-Broadband-SIM-in-Mobile-P...

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Here is a link to a post on this forum:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Using-Mobile-Prepaid-Broadband-SIM-to-create-WI...

0 Kudos
New Contributor Kajumpi
New Contributor

Thank you very much, Dave.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I get why you'd think they were all the same because they really should be. Don't know about Optus and Voda to be honest but I do know that Telstra block you buying a data only SIM and using it in a phone. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

What we need then is for somebody who has an Optus data SIM to try it in their phone. Is somebody reading these posts who can try?

Dave

New Contributor catchcryhamm
New Contributor

We bought a new Mobile Broadband SIM (15G for $35) for just this purpose. We used it in our Samsung S4 for about 3 weeks, just for data, as a mobile hotspot to our PC, laptop and tablet. After about 3 weeks, one day the data would not show as turned on. The phone signal shows, as in 3 or 4 bars, the Mobile data Icon that you push to turn it on lights, but the 4G arrows at the top right do not come on, and no data is available. Long Phone conv. to the Philipines, and she says I should go to Optus and get a new SIM for a phone and this will fix the problem. The Optus shop man, says won't make any difference, changed a few APN settings, and it worked. Worked for a few hours that night. Back to the Optus shop. Girl this time, she says different sim wont make a difference, but gave me one anyway. It worked for one and a half days, so back to Optus Shop tomorrow. 

Original salesman said we should use it with a wifi modem, cost about $60, but we did not want to, as we had a spare old phone. This looks like what they are forcing us to do.

Has anyone used a Broadband Sim plan in a mobile phone for a longer time?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors