Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Wesley18
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data usage reconciliation

Just received an sms to report my data usage is 946 MB. When I check on my usage through the Optus  app (adding each app usage on my phone) I get a usage total of 455 MB. I don’t believe that the difference is explained by the delay in updating the app usage as I have used very little over the past two days. How is the difference explained?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Data usage reconciliation

The phone doesn't necessarily know how much data is used because the 3G/4G data system charges you for defective packets to the tower. That retransmission is done at a hardware layer, not seen by android. However, I suppose you would say that most of the data has been used while in good reception. It's rather difficult to do accounting on such small values. I get creep on my account when I leave my modem on overnight, even though I know nothing is attached to it.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@10000000000GB,

I think the usga eis being reported by Optus in both cases, not the phone.

I can't explain the difference though @Wesley18. Generally Optus has around 3 days before it should align. 

I'd also be setting you phone to monitor usage locally as relying on Optus to tell you when you have used too much can get expensive.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Aman_B

Hi @Wesley18 - Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Both the usage meters are correct, the oily difference is that usage alerts update a bit faster as compared to My Optus App. Basically, usage alerts are directly connected to our billing systems. This means alerts get your usage info a lot earlier as compared to the App. The App takes around 24 hours more that the alerts to show your usage. I hope this helps.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos