At the beginning of June, I received a few texts within half an hour that my data had exceeded the limit multiple times. This was interesting as it occurred while my phone was in a limited 3G/sos only area depending on where I was in the house, so had been connected to wifi the whole time. Plus the fact it wouldn’t have been physically possible to download that amount in that time. Optus has hence charged me for usage I had no way of monitoring. Even looking at the data usage on my bill it’s plain to see no mobile data was used on that day.
I’ve spoken to live chat (who are less than helpful) at least 5 times over the past few weeks. They said they would investigate but then came back with an answer that sounds like they completely misunderstood the actual issue. Can a mod on here help? I’m preparing to contact the TIO at this rate of abysmal support.
Solved! Solved: Go to Solution.
Hmm I am with you on that but I do understand that delays in data reporting can often make you think you are being charged for data that you haven't used. I got that paranoid myself about it that I started doing screen captures and comparing what Optus was saying with what my own data usage meter said. I think at one stage Optus was saying that data usage could be delayed by up to 2 days and to my mind that is simply unacceptable. From what I understand they have improved on that time but i still don't trust their data usage records.
Does your phone have its own internal data usage meter like the one pictured below? If it does I would recommend using it and setting it up with your billing cycle so you at least have something to show in the event of a dispute.
Any update or conclusion to this issue?
i just got obliterated with an added $110 data because I didn’t get a single notification until I was asleep. Except my phones 7gb warning.
really mad because my rollover is literally tomorrow of when this message is composed and just yesterday, I gave Optus a bunch of positive feedback with there online survey. I feel like I just got a absolute slap in the face
The solution was lots of complaining to Optus and keeping a log of all communications with a final notice about me contacting the TIO. They did some investigations and came back with answers sent to me from a "noreply" email that were not relevant to the issue at hand. So I had to continue chasing their terrible customer service, mostly via live chat so I could avoud "he said she said" arguments.
Refer section 6.5.2 in the telecommunications consumer practices code to see if you have some ground to stand on
I had concrete evidence that the fault was on their end and notification received after the required period, and that they were in breach of the communications guidelines. They eventually credited me the excess charges, but it was like getting blood from a stone!
Well, the Usage tab on the MyOptus App was down everytime I checked it yesterday, up until about 4AM Perth time [today, 9th September], so I could'nt track it there which I believe is supposed to be real-time information (Also, my primary usage monitoring tool) and I was only able to know I had only used ~3.5GB with the app widget snapshot.
The fact that I went over my 10GB allowance and having usage notification delay is one thing, but being flooded with SMS from Optus saying "we've added 1GB($10) to your allowance" 12 times within the space of 1 minute at 3 in the morning. Being charged extra is something that needs to be notified as soon as possible. I potentially could of racked up over $200 of excess, because there were no indications that Optus had kept adding charges. I find this very unfair, and I would like to request having the excess charges credited since my bill cycle ends tomorrow.
Thanks for the information @Micmon85. This helps build my case easier.
I think my case mainly stands on the fact I had very limited methods of monitoring my usage at the time, which is a standard requirement under 6.5.5
Good to know your dispute was resolved.
Sounds like we had the same experience. I was sent many text messages within a few minutes span that I'd gone over by 3 or 4 gig. It's pointless to get so many spammed like that. I also had the error messages in the app that usage data was not currently available due to a system upgrade or something too. So yes I relied (and still do) on the app for monitoring usage as my main means too.
Hope you get somewhere with them. Hopefully easier than I did!
One more thing, I got them to extend my bill due date while it was being investigated, they did that no problems if you need to. They still wouldn't come back with a solution I liked before the new due date so I only paid what I had thought I should on the due date. After more followup ( after the new due date) they offered the credit.