Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Cjhooka
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data usage/charges while on wifi

@ 2.40am

2.9GB of 3GB of the shared data allowance has been used. At 3GB you will automatically get an additional 1GB for $10.00. Each time you use your data inclusion we'll give you 1GB for $10. Usage resets on 11/04. More info on usage at optus.com.au/alerts

----------------------------

@ 3.41am

The shared data on your account has exceeded 3GB. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00 and will be charged $10 for each extra 1GB you use. Usage resets on 11/04. More info on usage at optus.com.au/alerts

The whole night I've was at home & connected to a wifi network which also has a strong signal. This has happened countless times (I'll say at least once every month, for the 24 months of been on this contract) where I'm connected to a wifi network either at home or work with the phone on the desk or in my pocket & I'm getting messages notifications to tell me I'm about to use another gig. Data saver is on to prevent apps sending and receiving data in the background... I've upgraded the data limit on my plan once and I'm still getting this BS.

I stream hardly anything off my phone as I've a desktop PC at home and at work..., If I was to it'd be while within range of a wifi connection & 90% of my week I'm within range of wifi be it at home or in the office at work. 

Got Screenshots of being connected to wifi networks in addition to screenshots of my timeline on gmaps which shows I'm at home or work (connected to wifi) and still getting charged... 

Soumm wtf optus?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Data usage/charges while on wifi

Wonder if it's a hardware fault in your phone.

0 Kudos
Marie

That's certainly unusual @Cjhooka,

To confirm have you turned off Wi-Fi Assist on your mobile to ensure this isn't causing your additional data usage?

Data usage alerts are sent up to 4 hours after data is used so while you may be at home no the data may have been used whilst you weren't.

Have you checked out your phones data usage to see what might be causing this.

You can also chat with our 24/7 Customer Care team and they'll be able to check out the data usage for you to see what's going on.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Marie  Ah, yes. Maybe the hardware fault is the phone being from Apple.

0 Kudos