Searching...

Mobile

Re: Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

Mid_life_krisis

I disabled YouTube a day ago and my daily usage has not shown any Xunlai/Thundercloud activity since, so I'm leaning towards it's just YouTube usage that is now being tagged differently

Lauren8718

I also have this issue but don’t use YouTube - I have the app but never use it ... I think mine may be related to snapchat as I didn’t use it on Friday and xunlei didn’t show up on my data breakdown on that day ... is quite frustrating as Snapchat - my second highest data usage - seem to be double dipping my data. Also Snapchat has recently had 2 updates in the last couple of weeks so don’t know if that is related 

punk
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/

READ THIS

your phone may be part of a massive cloud network 

Samsung17

I have the same problem... Xunlei is chewing up an astonishing 30% of my data!

I contacted Opus a couple of days ago... they said they'd get back to me.  I'm still waiting.

Ebonybrown4me

I noticed that my NFC was somehow turned on, which enables data sharing when two phones are near each other. Turned this off so will see if it makes a difference

Samsung17

I might have a temporary answer.

When you have finished using YouTube, go to Settings/Apps... select YouTube, then 'Force Stop' it.

(I first cleared YouTube's cache and data)

I've not been attacked by Xunlei since I did that.  And yeah, YouTube auto reactivates when you click on the icon.

Can someone else please try this and see if it works for them too?

MrsGee

I've checked my app settings and for me the offending app using up my data is Google Photos. The data breakdown program needs its labels/categories fixed. We're all getting paranoid.

Samsung17

There's nothing paranoid about losing 30% of data... it's genuinely concerning and costly.

And Optus seem to be doing nothing about it.

punk

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier

thanks for that....

check the above article

lsy explain where you data and bandwidth is going

punk 

Biddy82

I have apparently been using this everyday since Sept 26, without knowing. A bit worrysome. Virus scans don't pick anything up. No dodgy looking apps installed on my phone. Would be interested to know what this is and how to stop it. It's used 4.3% of the little data I have... 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
131 Kudos
128 Kudos
98 Kudos
87 Kudos
56 Kudos