Searching...

Mobile

Re: Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

Maash

I have the same problem! It’s used about 3GB of my data over FOUR days! Not sure where it is coming from and it’s frustrating because it’s only been 2 weeks since the data restarted and I only have 7GB left.

BoogalooKid

I have this problem too. 

I run android.  Is it only happening to these or iPhones too?

Shlou14

I think it is youtube using the data. I watched about 20mins of 1080p video on YouTube to test. My app settings say I used about 380mb, optus reckon I used 10mb for YouTube and for xunlei/thunder has used about 380mb. If anyone else can confirm I think this is probably it. 

JaneC

It's on i-phones as well.

[ Edited ]
FridgeMagnet

Ayyyy

So I've spoken to about 8 people in Optus regarding this so far and no one has had an answer. It has been escalated to I.T management and I'm waiting to hear back. My theory is that Xunlei/Thunder has started using our data and phones remotely (as i have no application or files relating to this on my phone) to boost their Bit Coin mining power. If this is the case, there will be pretty serious ramifications.... the advice i got was to turn off my data for the next 3-5 days Unless absolutely necessary..... Not what i wanted to hear. Let's see what happens i guess...

Mid_life_krisis

I have disabled my YouTube app to see if that makes any difference... but I normally have wifi access and rarely use my mobile data .. before the 22nd of September I had zero data being used by xunlai/thunder, and now it takes about 15%

NoCur3

Hi Minch, please let us know how it goes. Cheers

[ Edited ]
NoCur3

Hi Peter, 
Yeah fair enough what you meant but apart from OPTUS "just identifying the data", we would also like to know where that data is going too, which is out of nowhere. I mean this all just started from this month and it is clearly seen that it is some sort of bitcoin stuffs mined by some foreign company. Apart from just losing random usage data, it is also a kind of serious concern associated with safety/privacy that your data is being mined. Would love to hear what OPTUS team comes up with before this all actually escalates into a big thing.

JaneC

I've just rung Optus, they tell me it's because an ad (or something similar) has accidentally been opened when browsing the web. (It's my son's phone, who knows what he has clicked on) anyway, they are saying that clearing the cache will stop it happening. So we have cleared the cache and turned off data. We shall see.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
97 Kudos
76 Kudos
75 Kudos
73 Kudos