cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Biddy82
New Contributor

Re: Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

What phone do you have?  I have Oppo. Perhaps it's phone related? 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Biddy82
New Contributor

I tried this with no change. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor punk
Occasional Contributor

hi

looks like YouTube is the culprit

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier

read this article

may help

punk 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

hi

looks like YouTube is the culprit

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier

read this article

may help

punk 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Mid_life_krisis
Occasional Contributor

I disabled the YouTube app and disabled NFC.. last Friday ..  I've had no further data usage since then attributed to Xunlei .. I'll give it another day and then switch on either / or ...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

hi

I've seen no more usage since 4.10.18

and YouTube usage has gone back to its normal data usage. 

maybe xunlei is no longer being used....

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Moderator GuyCS

Thanks for letting us know @Mid_life_krisis and @punk

Give us a shout if you notice this in future and we'll look into it. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Minch
New Contributor

I am also leaning towards youtube as the main data sink. I didn't stop using it-- But here are some tips. Make sure in the settings you turn off the higher definition option, wasted data there--on our phones we can't really tell the difference. And using a power saving mode that limits application access to data when not in use is also another good option to reduce data use. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Ebonybrown4me
New Contributor

So far since stopping NFC no xunlei. I will go on YouTube and see whether data is used. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor mesotu
New Contributor

Hi all,
I can tell you with reasonable confidence that this issue is directly related to the YouTube app.  It appears that Google, which owns YouTube, also owns a stake in Xunlei. They likely are using Xunlei infrastructre in the YouTube app, but the issue is that Optus is not correctly categorising the data usage.  

I deleted the YouTube app for a couple days and, voila, no more Xunlei data usage. 

I initially contacted Optus, but true to form, was fobbed off to their overseas call centre and was told that 1) they had no idea what was going on with Xunlei; and 2) I should do a factory reset (which was the wrong "solution").  I didn't do a factory reset and am glad I didn't waste my time.

Finally, in closing, I've seen a lot of alarmist posts on this thread, but please don't worry or stress over it. Your phone has not been corrupted by malware so you can sleep well at night knowing that. I don't think it's anything to do with NFC or your phone's manufacturer either.  You will probably waste a lot of time and energy trying to delete all your apps and do a factory reset, but I think your first port of call should be to delete YouTube for a day or two and see if the data usage stops.  Also, perhaps do not click on any embedded YouTube videos on websites which might also potentially register Xunlei usage (not sure, but possible). 

Hope that helps.

Top Contributors