Searching...

Mobile

Re: Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

Dan_C

Hey guys, it must be an issue with our reporting.

I've done a bit of research and it seems to point to Youtube. 

We've seen a few examples from customers that have reached out to us on FB and Twitter.

In those examples, we've seen Youtube as having used the most data and Xunlei/thunder as the next highest. 

I've found a post on whirlpool that suggest the same:

"My coworker just showed me this on her phone.

We noticed that she didn't have ANY data attributed to youtube this pay cycle, despite her claiming to have used it more than last month.

So, the likely result is that Optus is misidentifying the Youtube app as this other p2p filesharing technology.

Considering all reports of this seem to be relatively recent, that tells me that Youtube must have updated their app recently to incorporate peer to peer stream sharing."

Happy to try find more info for those concerned. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

mmgmm

I do not have data use enabled for YouTube through the app, and don’t watch YouTube using data through a browser. I also don’t have any high data use attributed to YouTube so this definitely doesn’t explain my xunlei/thunder data useage at all. 

Dan_C

"Xunlei, also known as Thunder is a very fast P2P file sharing with download acceleration."

There must be an application that's incorprated this technology. 

It's not a product we own. We don't have any association with this company. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

FuriousDD

Im having the same problem. In two days Xunlei/Thunder have eaten up 15gb of my data. I have tried contacting Optus chat but they just passed me around to about six different departments all which could not help me. I dont even use Youtube. Any assistance on what has used up my dat would be great. 

Ayyyy

I highly doubt this is YouTube. Even if it is, I'll be using my VPN full time at the very least while this is sorted out. Imagine if a Chinese company just started to randomly use more than 50% of the money in your bank account and you got told by the bank that it was probably just the coffee you bought, even though you don't even drink coffee.... that's what this sounds like. The IT management i spoke to literally mirrored my theory of Bitcoin mining and told me to turn my data off for 3 to 5 days. No mention of YouTube. And yes, he did sound concerned. I really hope this is just a mistake but yeah, I'm keeping an ear out for a legitimate response from Optus management....

Deno86

I initially believed it was a YouTube thing but seeing the responses and the varying phone usage between people ( people not using YouTube ect.) this is a little concerning. Xunlei / thunder is currently used for bitcoin mining and looking at the amount of views on this thread many people are discovering it in their data usage. No other telcos appear to have any mention from customers so it appears to be only optus. Seems a bit strange that the data use app is so specific at picking up Xunlei. If Optus can 100% guarantee that we have nothing to worry about then fine but it would be great to hear from them.

QGeebah

This has been bothering me for the last couple of days since I noticed so I'm glad I have found other people with the same problem. I am actually with Virgin but they use the Optus network. Data usage from Xunlei/Thunder started on the 27th Sept for me. The first day was the largest amount of data taken. I also noticed in the Virgin App that YouTube was being used. I have it on my mobile but very rarely will use it. Large amounts of data for YouTube also started on the 27th. Also, data was being used by Twitter. That is strange because I don't have the app installed on my mobile. I have advised Trend Micro antivirus company. They told me it has nothing to do with them and I should advise my telco. I will ring them and see what they say. Will report back when I learn anything.

Highlighted

Minch

Factory reset has made no difference...  

I have reported the issue to ACCC. This does not seem right. 

punk

I've got the same thing

with optus

mobile data plan

it happened on Thursday 4th October 

I suspect it comes from YouTube, as on that day I had YouTube binge watch for some hours and my optus data usage showed virtually no YouTube usage and all xunlei usage. I estimate the amount used to be equal to YouTube!!

My setup was samsung s7 as hotspot to google chromecast using 4G data onto TV

while I've  done this many times before it's the first time optus has reported xunlei.

[ Edited ]
CW_

Ok so I'm convinced it's an update to YouTube (whether their app, streaming, casting or hosting in general) that is causing the usage to be reported differently. I have a data heavy plan and normally use ~50% per month streaming videos. This billing period Optus report 13% YouTube usage & 43% Xunlei. I know I've used my service as normal so the combined usage makes sense for the number of videos I've watched and without, it doesn't. 

As reported by the Wall Street Journal, Google (i.e. YouTube) has had an equity stake in Xunlei since 2007: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB116793563237767297

Combined, these two points make it hard for me to believe there is something more sinister going on. It's more likely the result of an innocent code change than a highly complex crypto mining operation. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
154 Kudos
125 Kudos
96 Kudos
95 Kudos
75 Kudos