Searching...

Mobile

Re: Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

Mezari

I have noticed this in my usage as well. Since the 27th when my new month rolled. I only watch youtube, and play hearthstone. Youtube has its own category in usage, and chrome is "browsing".

Anyone escalated this up to get an answer?

Minch

Yes I have been dealing with the same issue... Xunlei has consumed about 30% of my data since Sat 22nd (as reported by someone else)--which is around a GB per day. I think it may happen when connected to Wi-Fi or when using wireless Tethering. So it may not be our data usage but it is certainly not right that a foreign company is using our phones for processing.

As a note I did a factory reset on my phone thinking it was a malware problem and notice no difference.

Highlighted

CCL

I've had similar issues over the past few weeks as well. I have a strong feeling it stems from Youtube (which is quite discomforting as I use this quite regularly). I've attached a couple of screenshots as a reference to this increased usage by Youtube.

Usage.PNG

petergdownload

Can you try disabling the YouTube app? Perhaps just use it via the website? See if that confirms your theory.

Peter Gillespie

CCL

I'll give it a go for the next couple of days, will post results. 

Mid_life_krisis

I've had exactly the same experience with this data usage  .. it started late last month and has consumed data on a daily rate.

ED1821

I've also noticed Xunlei/Thunder in my data usage. 

I recently started watching something on a streaming website so perhaps that could be one reason as someone mentioned?

It would be much appreciated if someone from Optus could comment as to how exactly Xunlei/Thunder is using so much of its client's data.

mmgmm

I've had the same issues as mentioned. Tried to use the optus live chat support, which was useless. They ended up giving me a very vague description of what the company did and nothing else.

I don't have mobile data turned on for my youtube app and dont use mobile data for any of the games apps I use. An alarming amount of my data useage has been contributed to Xunlei/Thunder and with no clear explanation from Optus, it's very frustrating.

Minch

I posted a report to the ACCC--out of concern there is some dodgy practice at hand, especially considering that Xunlei is a foreign business. Will see what happens. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

In fairness what you download, install or use is not really any of Optus business. There's no reason optus would have any better information what some website or app downloads on your phone then the owner of the phone. I'd be more concerned if Optus was actually able to provide more specific data than this on what my phone was actually doing.

IMO Optus has actually gone above and beyond in identifying the data for you in the first place. 

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
136 Kudos
120 Kudos
81 Kudos
78 Kudos
47 Kudos