cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor NoCur3
Occasional Contributor

Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

Has anyone encountered a weird usuage on their optus data by service called "Xunlei/Thunder"? . It shows that Xunlei/Thunder (file sharing) is a BitTorrent client. Not totally sure why this came as I havent use any myself.
I hope I am not the only one. Hope someone will come up with a legit answer.
TA!

Cheers, 
NoCur3

Tags (1)
102 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Data usage by service called "Xunlei/Thunder" ?

Where's the data being used? On your phone or in a mobile broadband device?

Can you think of anything you use your phone for that might use a peer to peer network? Do you mine crypto currency? You've already said no to downloading torrents but do you stream music or tv/movies from anywhere outside of the main streaming services like Netflix and Stan? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Occasional Contributor

Hi SamSam,
Thanks for the reply. I am using data on my phone. I do not mine any stuffs about crypto. I do not play any games, no downloading any stuffs or even stream movies/music from anywhere. My main usuage is Youtube and Optus sports thats all.  The % of usuage seems increasing from yesterday but all I have done is watch Youtube. Not sure where this got into. 

Cheers,
Nocur3

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The company seems to have fingers in a bunch of pies. BlockChain, Media Player, Downloader etc. It could just be a false positive by Optus (they guess a bit on what data is what). If you can have a scroll through data usage by app and see if any leap out as possibly related (i.e. not your stock standard apps?)

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Looks like not just me unfortunately. Few others have the same issues lately (https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2755627).

New Contributor Macca3
New Contributor

I have had the same thing pop up on my mobile data usage. Several calls and chats woth Optus have yielded nothing.

Occasional Contributor Lauren8718
Occasional Contributor

I have also had this issue in the past few days and was wondering what it was. Has only been happening since Thursday and apparently I have used it everyday without even knowing what it is? Last time I had something unknown taking data it was an app that had sideloaded something else and was using data and phone battery life even when I wasn’t using the offending app. Also tried Optus live chat but they were no help... would appreciate an answer if somebody knew. 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor CW_
New Contributor

Also looking for a decent answer on this!

It's definitely something that's changed recently; no Xunlei in any other month until the 22nd. I haven't changed my usage so what's going on? 

New Contributor Brettttt
New Contributor

Perhaps we can narrow down the apps being used on the phones.  I could have been running a VPN and or the game Clash Royal.  What about others?

New Contributor Shlou14
New Contributor

I have also have the same issue. I don't really use any other apps other than Facebook, YouTube, netflix. I also use comic rack very regularly. First time it used data was the 21st of September so I would assume that it was an app that updated which is chewing the data. 

Top Contributors