Searching...

Mobile

Data pooling

[ Edited ]
symbiot911

I have data pooling set up on my post paid account, have had since around 2014. So today I went into an optus shop to get another couple of sim cards so I can share my data with the Galaxy T A I just recieved after upgrading to a new Galaxy S10, and another for a 4g capable laptop I'll be getting soon. So I tell the girl in the shop that I just need a couple of sim cards so I can add the two new devices to the data pool I have set up on my plan and she's like, I can sell you a sim card which comes with mobile data and it'll cost you $25 for 5gb which you can share with others. I'm like, I don't want to buy be to buy a data plan, I'm already with Optus and have 50gb of mobile data on my post paid plan that I already share with the 4g capable Galaxy Tab S that was included with a plan back in 2014 or there abouts. So this chick starts telling me that I need mobile with a plan, (she's looking at the screen with my details mind you), and I'm telling her that I have the plan  it's set up with data pooling already and I JUST WANT ANOTHER 2 SIM CARDS TO ADD ANOTHER 2 DEVICES TO MY DATA POOL. I didn't actually yell, but I was getting exasperated. So then she tells me that the sim card should have been in the box, I tell her there was no sim card in the box so she said it is already installed in the tablet. I'm then thinking  WTF??? You dumb fool? The tablet box comes sealed as a security measure, are you really that stupid? So she ask's her manager and he tells me that they don't offer data pooling anymore. I checked the website a few weeks ago and found data sharing, so I just said rubbish, this is crazy, why would I want to pay $25 dollars for 5gb when I already have a plan with pooling? Talk about useless. Honestly, I sometimes I wonder why I stick with optus. It's like talking to a brick wall, a very dumb brick wall at that. They can shove their data plans where the sun doesn't shine. Talk about trying to milk your long time customers. Obviously loyalty means nothing the this Optus. This is exactly why my bone network is named *moderated*. So why can't I data share more devices on my post paid plan  Even if I can't pool my new 4g laptop  I should still be able to pool my new tablet because it's from optus. Sorry for bit being courteous. All I wanted was a straight answer and it seems to be a difficult thing to get sometimes  

Re: Data pooling

Yeldarb

I think you are being a bit rough. Data pooling as far as I understand allows you to combine the data of separate plans. I'm not sure I understand why you would think you could use multiple sims without them being associated with a plan.

Ray_YC

Hi symbiot911,

Data sharing is still available as you mentioned, more information on this page: How shared Data Pools work

However it is right that getting an extra SIM at no cost or for $5/month is no longer offered, this was also asked by another member today.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Yeldarb

I was worried for a minute that sim sharing had been started up again. Smiley Wink

[ Edited ]
symbiot911

You think I'm being a bit rough and don't know why I would think that I could use multiple sim's without them being associated with a plan? I call it frustration. Maybe I think I can use multiple sim's on one plan because that's exactly what I'm doing. One sim in my phone, which is on a post paid plan, and the other sim is in my Galaxy Tab S8.0, and the sim card in the tablet uses the mobile data that's included in my phone plan. It cost me $5 to set up the data pooling. Now, very recently, I upgraded my phone to a galaxy s10 plus  The offer also included A Galaxy Tab A 8" that is 4g capable, but there was no sim card, obviously because they no longer offer data pooling as I know it . So my account does indeed allow me to use my phone and tablet, each with thier own sim card and phone number. I don't have to pay any extra to use the tablet on mobile broadband, no rip off mobile data plans or anything, it simply uses my shared data pool. I suppose in that respect I'm lucky  but in the end, all I wanted was another sim card to add the new tablet to my existing data pool, but it seems Optus have become rather tight and I was unaware that data pooling, or sharing now, is not the same as five years ago. Thing is, even though they advertise data pooling, nobody at the shop, nor the guy I talked to in online chat, had any idea what data pooling is, at least, not in the way I have data pooling. Still, it was kinda funny how the guy in the online chat, after I clearly explained that I simply wanted a sim to put in my NEW tablet so I could add it to my data pool, came to the brilliant conclusion that I wanted to buy a brand new tablet. How he came to that conclusion I'll never know. All I needed to be told was that they don't offer the one off $5 set up fee to share data between sim cards, but it seems people are either uneducated in these matters, in which case I can't blame them, or in the case of the guy in the online chat, either don't read the replies properly and if they do, they seem to have major issues actually interpreting them. 

Yeldarb

Sharing a plan with multiple sims was a great product when it was available however Optus obviously thought there was more money in forcing people to take out another plan. I guess you can always hotspot however that doesn't work if the devices are being carried separately.

symbiot911

You answered my question but that doesn't take away from the fact that in my eyes optus are tight arses and no better than scum companies like telstra. I joined optus many years ago and over those years thru offered some decent deals but it's obvious that greed has gotten hold of them. Data pooling, or sharing as it is now is a complete lie and if you don't agree with that well I suppose you are just another brainwashed corporate sucker. I'm not going mark this as an accepted solution because it's unacceptable .Data sharing should be just that, being able to share your data, or as you can with Virgin Mobile, gift it, as I gifted 5gb to my daughter the other day. It's just lies and word play to make people buy a plan each, and $25 fit 5 lousy gigabytes of data, what the hell are optus thinking charging like a wounded bull. Of course, now that us Virgin customers have become optus customers without having any say in it, once our contracts with Virgin are over we'll lose all those great things like reasonable contracts, data gifting and data roll over. Phone companies, I can't stand them but like everyone I can't live without them. 

Highlighted

symbiot911

If course it's a money making decision, but to still use the same terminology as if nothing has changed is outright lying. It certainly fooled me. Really pussed me off actually  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos