Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Data pool and mobile TV streaming.

Hi  there.

Hoping someone can assist me with this.

I have an iPhone on a 2gb per month plan contract with tv streaming included, I also have an iPad on a 10gb per month plan with tv streaming added on for $10 per month. The data is pooled for a total of 12gb and shgould therefore be covered on both sides for data-free tv streaming.

The iPad is mostly on wifi at home and the iPhone is often used on 4g outside home wifi for Netflix and Stan. The problem is that I have been running out of data each month and am having to purchase data packs to get through the month. I realise the obvious solution would be to increase the data on one of the devices but it appears that the iPhone is using the bulk of the data and the reason I purchased tv streaming on the ipad was to cover the data pool on both sided for tv streaming.

Here's the question, once the iPhone uses up it's allocated 2gb of non tv streaming data and moves on to the 10gb pooled from the iPad, does it then use the tv streaming add on attached to the iPad or does it just start chewing through my data allowance when streaming tv ? I suspect that it does as I can't see what else could be using so much data on the iPhone when I know it's used a quite a bit for tv streaming. Is there any way to see what type of data is counting toward your allowance ?

Thanks,

Jason.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Data pool and mobile TV streaming.

The mobile tv streaming "free data" is only valid against the sim its activated against.

In order to have multiple devices have this functionality - they need to have this enabled.

Optus is no longer offering the "tv" or music free data on new plans now.  No announcement in regards to existing plans having it removed.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Paddy.

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense even though it doesn't feel fair !

I am still unclear though about what happens to the iPhone data once it reaches its 2gb data limit of non-streaming data, do I forego the benefits of the data-free streaming attached to that plan for the remainder of that billing period just because I slip into the data pool ?

Thanks,

Jason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

When you have datashare you get a single pool of data over all the devices in that share.

You no longer have data just for that device, so if the iphone is on a plan with 5gb and you also have an ipad with 50gb data shared you can use the whole 55Gb between them, perhaps 45gb on iphone and the remaining 10gb on ipad etc.

If you have the data free streaming then you keep that regardless of your shared data.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That's what I would assume should be the case, just needed someone to confirm it. I still think the iPhone is being charged data for Netflix and Stan though as the daily data usage is so high. If only I had some way to check which data is being billed !

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

From memory their is a disclaimer on the daily usage in the app/website that statews that "tv" data will show, but it wont be show in your shared data pool amount.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos