Searching...

Mobile

Data metering on Optus Sport

bramble

Hi all. My Virgin Mobile account recently got switched over to Optus, and I was offered Optus Sport as part of the deal. Still trying to get my head around it, so hopefully I can get some expert insights here.

I was under the impression that mobile data used on the Optus Sport app and website doesn't get metered, even when tethered to a laptop, so long as the video player says "On Optus Network" while paused. I used Optus Sport to watch two live Premier League matches as well as a replay. Suddenly my data allowance was at 90%! I contacted Optus Sport support and was told data is only non-metered while live streaming content.

Did anyone else get stung by this little bit of sculduggery? Yes, sculduggery.

Also, how bloated much those replay files be to use up so much data? Such sculdug.

Isn't it a bit of a, well, crap deal that we can't use our data on replays, considering most soccer matches happen in the middle of the night in Australia? Why else would I even use the service than to watch replays?

Note, I've tried using Optus Sport on various wifi networks and it's always been utter balls, as though watching through a potato (which research tells me is a common complaint). The whole service performs much better while on mobile but now it turns out that's not even a viable option.

Feeling a bit cheated here. Am I just a noob who has misunderstood something fairly obvious and acceptable?

Re: Data metering on Optus Sport

Shauna

Hey @bramble - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I can confirm using Optus Sport is data free, not just for Live Games but for any sort of streaming. 

The only things that aren't data free are the advertisements, back ground data & analytics.

If you'd like us to look into your data, can you please confirm your Mobile number, full name and DOB via private message? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

bramble

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for your reply and gosh I hope you’re right. So far I’ve been told the opposite by both Optus Sport support (via live chat) and Optus Mobile support (over the phone).

I also spoke with a support agent via Facebook yesterday who agreed with you that any Optus Sport content streamed over my Optus network, even when tethering to my laptop, should be unmetered. However, when they looked into my data usage they found that the majority of my Optus Sport traffic was being allocated as Browsing, so it used up my data allowance.

Eventually he told me to open another support ticket with Optus Sport, who haven’t responded yet, but that’s just taking me back to square one. I’m sure you’ll find the same problem when I send you my details (which I’m doing now regardless).

Happy for you to try anyway! Messaging you now.

Highlighted

Shauna

Cheers!

I've responded to your PM with more detail. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
76 Kudos
73 Kudos
51 Kudos