Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
OliviaHock
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Data help

Hi, I’m also having the same problem.

I have never downloaded the app “AppTrailers” nor have I ever used it through a browser, yet 40% of my last cycles data was taken up by this. I had never even heard of what this was until I saw my data breakdown. I was also charged an extra $10 for an extra 1GB of data as I went over my 15GB allowance, however if AppTrailers wasn’t 40% of my data then I wouldn’t have been charged..

I spoke to someone on the Optus online chat who was very unhelpful, the only thing she kept telling me to do was to go into my phone settings and check which apps are using my data.

Did you guys manage to get the issue sorted out and find out why it was appearing on your data breakdown?

Could someone from Optus please contact me, I’d like to find out why this is appearing on my data when I have no clue what it is, and I’d like to be reimbursed the $10 I was charged for exceeding my data allowance (when technically I shouldn’t have exceeded it).

Rhiannonj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I got the same response. To check my phone setting to see which app is using the most data. None of them exceed my monthly allowance. I might go into the shop to see if they can help any! I’m almost out of data again this month for the same reason and I still have 15 days to change over. 

0 Kudos
OliviaHock
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - I might do the same thing. It’s very frustrating being told that this is an App/Website yet we aren’t even using it and are wrongly being calculated for it.

I might even try turning my mobile data off one day and see if my data breakdown shows it for that day.

Will keep you updated if it (hopefully) goes any further and I find out more information!

Rhiannonj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! Same here! 

0 Kudos
OliviaHock
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Update: after I wrote those previous questions I turned off my mobile data for heaps of apps etc that I don’t need when I’m out and about. Ever since then “App Trailers” hasn’t used any mobile data. I’m still stumped as to what other app would be using it seeing as I don’t use App Trailers itself.. 

0 Kudos
hayleygg
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’m having this same issue and Optus has been also unhelpful in finding a solution. Have you managed to figure out what apps were using this app trailers? Was it Instagram or facebook? 

0 Kudos
OliviaHock
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It’s good to hear others are having the same problem, I hope Optus can start helping us.

It can’t be Facebook, Instagram or snapchat - I’ve left my mobile data on for those apps and those are 3 of the biggest users of my mobile data according to my settings. Since turning my mobile data off for most apps I still haven’t used any data for “App Trailers”. The 2nd biggest user of my data according to settings is the App Store, which I turned off my mobile data for as I said in my last message. It’s the only app that has used larger amounts of my data so is the only app I can presume may be the cause.

Its frustrating though as Optus still have been no help, and the App Store is not “App Trailers” it is different - it would be good if they could offer some insight as to why this is showing on our bills yet we haven’t been using it via downloading the specific app or using it via browser.

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi guys, I'm sorry no one has been able to provide further insights into you usage. The information you see in the data breakdown of the My Optus App is all the information we receive in regards to the service that was used. Only by troubleshooting with the device will you be able to narrow it down on your end.

Our system holds the date/time data was used, as well as the name of the service pulling the data. From here you would need to troubleshoot your device by disabling data for all apps, and then turning them back on one by one as you use them. Soon enough you should be able to identify the source.

I hope this helps, please feel free to send me a message with any data enquires and I'll be glad to discuss.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
alanac88
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys, I have also had this exact same problem and was charged an extra $40 for going over my data limit 4x. It also seems this has all started happening to us around the exact same time. If anyone works out which app is actually using this app trailers data please let me know. I would really like to avoid completely restarting my phone.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@alanac88, what's the make and model of the handset you're using? If you're using an Android handset, try the following steps for us:

1. Open Settings and tap Data usage.
  2. Scroll down to view a list of your Android apps sorted by data usage (or tap Cellular Data usage to view them). ...
  3. Tap the app (in this case app trailers), you don't want to connect to mobile data and select Restrict app background data.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors