cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Ezza23
New Contributor

Data free music streaming - Google Music

Hi, I'm currently up for a new plan and am looking at going from a Postpaid mobile plan to a SIM only plan.  Can anyone tell me if all of the SIM only plans currently include data free streaming to Google Music for new plans please?  I've just spoken to a team member on Optus chat who has told me that all new plans no longer offer free music steaming, however when I access Optus Entertainment (https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/entertainment/tv-movies-music/music/music-streaming) it seems to say that Music Streaming is available for Google Music.  I provided the site to the team member, but she said that they're not available regardless so now I'm confused Smiley Happy  I don't want Apple Music, I just want to go from a postpaid plan to a SIM only plan and see if data free streaming is available before I commit to changing plans.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Data free music streaming - Google Music

The Apple Music deal on at the moment is for an actual 6 month free subscription to Apple music (usually $12 a month extra). It has nothing to do with free data streaming (and in fact the data in this offer is actually not free strangely enough). 

The link you provide is to the current Optus music free streaming offers (and Google Play and Spotify are both on the list.)

FWIW Music streaming will likely take up less then 1Gb a month (2Gb if you listen 24/7). As long as you are not going the 5Gb mobile plans it shouldn't make much difference whether its free or not.

Peter Gillespie

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus no longer offer data free music streaming to new plans. So because it was included in plans previously, if you're still on one of those plans you have access to it but once you recontract to a new plan, you'll lose it. The site you linked to is an informatin site for people who already have it but I think it should be updated to be really clear because I can see how it drives confusion

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Confusion indeed @SamSam

Thanks for the update. @Ray_YC can perhaps let them know.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Ezza23
New Contributor

Great, thanks so much!  Yeah, the team operator I was chatting with kept pushing the Apple promo they've got at the moment.  Thanks for the info on how much data my music streaming will use - that was really helpful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
New Contributor Ezza23
New Contributor

Thanks for this.  I think that site needs to be a bit clearer as well because that's what was throwing me off.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Do you feel like the information is covered in the FAQs section? (I understand not everybody clicks on it though)

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Ezza23
New Contributor

Hi Ray, I had clicked on and read the FAQ section and still feel it wasn't clear as I am already an existing Optus customer.  I was looking to change my current plan and just wanted to find out if it was still included.  When I went into the FAQ section and clicked on eligible plans, it took me to the current plans in one instance (it was a different site on Optus I think) and for the other it took me to a post saying that it was included as long as I held an eligible plan (hence why I was trying to find out what was classified as an eligible plan).  The information didn't clearly let me know what plans it was included in and if it was for existing customers, people changing plans, etc. 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks heaps Ezza23, that is really good information.

I will pass this onto the team that looks after that page.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors