Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data breakdown

Hi...can anyone tell me what 'Akamai' is? It accounts for over 50% of my data usage on my phone.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Data breakdown

Akamai is a hosting provider used by numerous companies.

It hosts things like data for numerous apps, video content for media/news websites etc.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I noticed that the data used for mobile TV Streaming live has been added to my monthly data plan. My postpay mobile is using monthly plan which including free data for mobile TV Streaming. according to the Optus website, the data used when viewing Netflix, ABC IView, etc live (not include downloading) is not charged, therefore should not be included in my monthly data usage. However, I commenced watching ABC IView News Live since March 2019, my mobile data usage shoot up immediatly. I have had more than 10 telephone calls to Optus since, was assured on every occasion that the data of viewing ABC IView Live is not counted against my plan. This month, I did close monitor of my data usage against my activities on using mobile on daily basis, and discovered that when I use mobile for everything but ABC IView, the data used by Akamai is zero, when I watch ABC IView live on my mobile, the Akamai is up, the longer I watch, the higher usage by Akamai. I brought this issue with Optus rep, and was told that Akamai is a 3rd party program, Optus know nothing about it and nothing can be done by Optus to stop it. However, I found that Akamai was listed on Optus website at the 1st position as its partners. I would request Optus to remove the data usage counted against my monthly plan when watching mobile TV Streaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@riverfishingath best idea will be to log a complaint

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/complaints

The staff here are unable to manipulate bill data, hence why its best to log a complaint with all the info and tgen it could be assigned to a billing team. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I lodged a complain, received a phone call from Optus, the rep directed me changed some settings on the ABC IView app, disabled the HD function and auto background update, told me that the problem is fixed. However, my continuation of monitoring my data usage on Optus app shown the same correlation between the ABC Iview TV live viewing and Akamai data usage. Do I just lodge anothing complaint ?

0 Kudos