cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Charli90
New Contributor

Data breakdown confusion

On my Optus prepaid data usage breakdown, it says that my data is veing used by skype. However, I dont even have a skype account. So i am confused as to what else skype is maybe linked to? How would i be using data on Skype if I dont have the actual app or account. 

Help please. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Data breakdown confusion

Could be just wrong. Could you be using some other voice messenger?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The Optus data usage mapping can be a bit random occasionally. It does the 'free streaming stuff' well as far as I can see but then it has to categorise all the remaining other data. It sometimes misidentifies stuff.

Have you checked your phone to see what it says your data usage breakdown is? 

How much data are we talking about? A few Mb or 100's?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Austinfw
New Contributor

Same for me and my boyfriend, both data breakdowns are showing around 15% data usage for skype on each of our phones (under the same account) but neither of us have skype even installed on our phones.

Would love to know what's going on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey guys, we see these issues a lot. Our systems essentially records the name of the host server that your phone is connecting to. So although you are not using Skype directly, there will be another app or website that uses their servers. Another common one we get enquiries about is Amazon as they provide a lot of hosting services.

The best way to troubleshoot is to remove data permission from all apps in your phone. You can then enable it again one by one as you go to use it. From our end we can provide the date and time your phone has accessed those servers to help you narrow it down.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors