Searching...

Mobile

Data Usage

Zlil02

Hi,

Now I don't usually complain but this issue has gotten ridiculous! I have been a customer with Optus for 10 years and now am seriously thinking about changing services!

Numerous times I continue to get messages saying I have exceeded my data usage and I end up with ridiculous bills! I get messages when I know I have had my internet off or have been using wifi but I somehow am using data!!!

I was told that facebook was included in my plan and that is the main thing I use on my phone and I am not on my internet that frequently to be getting so many messages about data.

Can you fix this issue!?!

Re: Data Usage

Yeldarb

Hmm how old is your plan as those data free social media plans as far as I can recall were a long time ago? How much data do you have on your plan and what sort of phone are you using?

Zlil02

It is almost 2 years, runs out August. I have 6gb and I am using samsung galaxy 6

Thanks

Yeldarb

Are you sure your plan is data free with social media as I do recall those plans when I purchased an iPhone 4 and that must have been 10 years ago. Might pay to check that first as that may be the only problem. Do you have the My Optus App on your phone so you can monitor your data usage?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/apps/my-optus-app

Nghi

Hey Zlil02, our usage meters online and App can be up to 48 hours delayed. We try and send out SMS alerts as soon as we can but they can be delayed also. You may receive an SMS alert while connected to WiFi but it would have been for usage prior. Our meters and alerts are not in real-time.

You can view and manage your mobile data from within most smart phone settings. More info here.

You may be on an old archived plan that had Facebook data included but this would only apply to content hosted on Facebook servers. The internet has changed a lot since these plans were introduced and there is a lot of content within Facebook now which isn't hosted on their servers. Video and other data intensive content is often hosted elsewhere on different servers which will count towards your data allowance.

Lwalker

I'm having the exact same issue and I'm using an iPhone 6 and just updated my plan to 13GB a month which its saying I've nearly used in 2 weeks. There's no way! 

Highlighted

Nghi

Hey Lwalker, you can look view a breakdown of your data usage through the My Optus App. You can also discuss this with our Billing team on 133937 or via live chat here. Our My Optus App also has a live chat feature.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
173 Kudos
152 Kudos
119 Kudos
85 Kudos
83 Kudos