Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
KarinaH
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data Sharing

My 3 teenage children and I all share our data on our mobile phones.  Two of them are abusing the privilege and I want to block their access to ANY data (other than what they can get from the home wifi).  Can this be done?  (All 4 phones are in my name).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Data Sharing

Hmm whilst data pooling does have some excellent benefits it also has a downside that you have discovered. Short of putting them on their own bill or calling support to turn their data off and on I am not aware of any other options.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Data Sharing

1. Turn off mobile data on each phone and tell them not to turn it back on. If they do you'll know and take the phones off them. They don't need them and a day without a phone will no doubt make them pause next time. If not take it off them for three days or a week. You're paying the bills, you set the rules.

2. That said, I believe you can ring Optus and deactivate data to any device. Call back to get it reactivated (you're still paying for the data of course). Calls and SMS are unaffected.

3. Switch them to prepaid. Again it might involve some financial pain on your side temporarily (although if you're hitting the $10 per Gb penalty you'll probably save money) but you've just got to make the pain worse for them. They get a new number and make the data they get significantly less than what you are offering via the shared plan. How much data should they be having each month? The nice thing is they can't go over their limit - or they can pay themselves to top up with more data.

4. Do they have Android phones? If so then there are built in functions to warn and cut off data. Again, you'd need to simply tell them not to disable that function (if they do the phone goes)

Peter
0 Kudos