cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor LHARR
Occasional Contributor

DRAINING DATA WHILE CONNECTED TO WIFI

I’ve only had an issue with this one other time and the Optus representative back then told me it was an issue with my wifi which wasn’t true. Today it’s happening again. I am connected to my homes wifi on my iPhone 8 Plus, have been all night and all this morning yet everything I seem to do online is using my mobile data. I turned mobile data off and the wifi connection is working fine but as soon as I turn mobile data back on I’m draining data. Just in the last hour I have received 2 text messages from Optus issuing me extra gigabytes because I have maxed each out. Why does this happen??? It’s misleading and lulled me into a false sense of security that I’m using my wifi when behind the scenes it’s actually draining my mobile data and increasing my bill!!! 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: DRAINING DATA WHILE CONNECTED TO WIFI

It's the iphone. iphones can't be trusted. Turn off "wifi assist". You might fare better

Contributor XxJessxX
Contributor

Agreed, turn off Wi-Fi Assist under ‘Mobile’ in settings (right down the bottom) 

If it’s green, it means that when your Wi-Fi has a weaker signal, Mobile Data is used to offset it. 

Occasional Contributor

I had no idea about that feature wayyyy at the bottom of the mobile data settings. Thank you!! 

0 Kudos
Contributor XxJessxX
Contributor

You’re more than welcome! When you set up an iPhone as new (no backup) it’s always on. 

Glad you got it it sorted! 

Contributor XxJessxX
Contributor

Just make sure it’s ‘off’ (toggle it til it’s not green) Smiley Happy 

New Contributor Nate_GC
New Contributor

Mine is off and still doing this. Funnily enough, only started doing it AFTER I went over my data allowance. I usually dont go over it, and suddenly I've got 6 x GB extra ($60) added to my account. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Wow. Serious?? So far so good with mine since I turned it off but I will let you know if it does. I had also reached my monthly allowance limit when it started doing this :/

0 Kudos
New Contributor Nate_GC
New Contributor

What a coincidence hey 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It has been known for mysterious data leaks to occur on Optus, but nobody ever finds out why. They could be attributing someone else's data use to your account. Some have occurred when people swear they were on holiday and had the phone off. Look at your detailed usage in My Account, and see if the usage is half probable. Unfortunately, they have removed all the timing data in the new system.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors