Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

DATA USAGE ISSUE!! HELP!!

I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES FROM OPTUS TELLING ME THAT I HAVE USED UP AN EXTRA GIGABYTE FOR $10. I AM NOW RECEIVING THESE MESSAGES EVERY FEW MINUTES. I AM NOT USING ANY MOBILE DATA OTHER THAN BEING ON YES CROWD TO TYPE THIS MESSAGE BUT OTHER THAN THAT I HAVE NOTHING USING DATA IN THE BACKGROUND. PLEASE HELP SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT! I have tried to call Optus and can’t get through. JUST NOW I HAVE RECEIVED ANOTHER TEXT MESSAGE THAT I HAVE USED ANOTHER EXTRA GIGABYTE!! THAT IS 5GB IN LESS THAN 15 MINUTES!!!! What is going on?! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: DATA USAGE ISSUE!! HELP!!

Your phone should have a local data counter in its settings. See if that is going up. You can also check in MY ACCOUNT or the Optus app what applications are using what data (and on your phone too for that matter)

Sometimes the notifications can go a bit crazy so hopefully that is happening here. But pretty quick smart I'd take your SIM card out and only use wifi until you can work out what is happening.

Let us know what Optus say.

NB use online live chat here for better chance of getting through

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

also, check that your phone is not hot spoting or teetering for other devices. If you have an iphone, it can link to an ipad without you knowing it and if someone is watching high res video on the ipad then data can be chew up pretty quickly. 

Have a look at your data usage as suggested above and see which app is using how much data. Maybe turn off mobile data and use wifi data till things are sorted, remember that your background services and some message services might not work without an internet connection.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

There are no other devices in the home and no interference from neighbours as I live on a rural property. So far I have received 30 text messages from Optus advising me that I have used up extra gigabytes and half of those messages were received after I turned my mobile phone off for over an hour and then back on. I’ve also noticed issues with the Optus website and Optus app. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

UPDATE: I have just received a text message from Optus saying the following “ Hi, we're upgrading our systems this weekend. As part of this, your usage alerts may be repeated or delayed. As a result, you may receive multiple alerts within a short period of time. This will occur from now until Tuesday 10am AEDT. We apologise for any inconvenience. For more info visit optus.com.au/systemupgrade”. I just hope that these spam messages regarding using up gigabytes aren’t actually added to my bill. 

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

thank you for the update, it could be the same message that you've receiving. Worth contacting Optus once the "system upgrade" is resolve and see exactly how much data have been used and check if the upgrade have anything to do with any extra data used. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A SMS at 4pm on a Sunday isn't really a very professional way handle retrospective? upgrade announcements. 

The 'inconvenience' is hours of frustrations calls and financial worries about what is going on.

Pretty poor form from some Optus department

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

This has been happening to me since 2:22pm and it's driving me insane!!! I saw I was close to my limit so I turned off my mobile data and have been connected to Wi-Fi since but I just keep getting told I've used another GB!!! Right now it's at $110 extra when I've been connected to Wi-Fi the whole time. I even turned my phone off for 2 hours and I got charged for 2GB!!! What the hell is going on Optus. I'm not paying for this extra data that I never needed or used. I even tried talking to someone on their online chat and he just kept saying are you sure your mobile data is off when I told him it's been off since 230pm and I've only been using Wi-Fi. Not happy!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Data usage is only updated within 48 hours (if they can, longer if they can't). So turning your phone off at 2pm doesn't affect the data you've used over that period. 

I agree its completely unacceptable that Optus 

a) Can't provide timely updates

and 

b) Charges you for their incompetence.

Check your phone menus for data usage to see how much it reports you have used recently.

Peer Gillespie

0 Kudos