cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Phalies
New Contributor

Contract expired but still paying the same

I had a contract for a handset which expired in May. I am still paying the same monthly amount even though I now own the handset.
How can Optus continue to charge me the same amount? I was never informed or notified that the contract expired and it seems wrong that the onus is on the customer to contact Optus. Surely their system has a flag to notify customers their contract has ended.

I’m still in the same contract deal which included a handset that I now own but am still paying for. How is this fair?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Contract

All Optus contracts roll over to a month to month contract automatically (with usually the same terms, although more recently bonus data can now be removed if it only applies for the contract period.) It would definitely be nice if Optus did send an email or SMS through (and possibly a great oportunity to do a targetted 'new offer') but I think they've decide its more lucrative if many users just keep paying comparitively high prices. In the end its your responsiblity.

While it is possible there has been an error in your case the more likely case is that your plan had a $0 handset component. This is where Optus subsidises the handset cost because you are under contract. When the contract ends you've paid off the phone but the $0 means the plan rate doesn't change. Here's an example from now (if you had done the plan on the right you'd see a $15 drop in your monthly price once off contract.

2019-07-26_12-16-43.jpg

Now you're off contract there are definitely some much better value SIM only plans you could try out (or sit tight and Optus usually have a new special deal every 30 days or so.) Currently its $40 a month for 40Gb for 12 months which is pretty standard.

As a suggestion, I now set reminders in my phone for any contract dates ending (Phone, Gas, Gym, etc.) and always do a quick run around for options that may be much better priced when they pop up.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Phalies
New Contributor

THanks Peter. That’s not what I wanted to hear but why am I not surprised after working for Optus for over 20 years. It’totally not acceptable to leave the onus up to the customer to manage once the contract expires. As you stated it’s an opportunity for Optus to upsell a handset or engage with the customer in good faith. However they would rather keep you paying more than upgrade you to a better plan and experience. I’ll be churning today. 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there Phalies,
Wow, 20 years! I wonder if we crossed paths sometime.

Customers are generally contacted usually with an offer towards the end of their contract.

You may have opted out of marketing communication?

Information on how to check this can be found on our help and support page: Update Your Marketing Preferences

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors