Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Chrome Remote Desktop Data

I got a notification that I was low on data. I have never used up my data in years so thought this was very odd so I checked why. The app says I have used alot of data using Chrome remote desktop but I don't know what this is. I googled it and apparently it is an app but I don't have the app. What is chrome remote desktop and how has it used most of my data allowance suddenly? What could I be doing that uses chrome remote desktop without having the app or knowing what it is. From googling it seems like you can remotely control another computer which makes me worried my phone is hacked. I use Google Chrome for browsing but that comes up as a seperate percentage of data use.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Chrome Remote Desktop Data

Is there anyone else in the household (or that shares data on your plan) that might be using Chrome Remote Desktop?

If not then you (or someone else that shared data on your plan) may well have a compromised phone.

Have you checked your phone (not any Optus report) to see what its reporting for data usage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its a little disconcerting. But hard to see how anyone used remote desktop without you being specifically aware of it. Optus can get its categorisation of data usage incorrect sometimes though.

I would suggest you make sure any important info is backed up off the PC (photos, documents, etc.). Also don't visit banking sites on the PC and probably best not to go to gmail etc. I would suggest on another device reset those passwords and make sure you have 2FA security enabled. All these things you should be doing anyway btw.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all,
Thankyou for the support. After being transferred to four different people at Optus Ive been told that Google Chromecast so me watching Netflix by casting to a TV from my phone is classified as chrome remote 'desktop'. Ive still not got any idea what the chrome remote desktop app is and how it works but apparently using Chromecast for netflix comes under that in the data breakdown. I hope this is correct as that's the only explanation they had.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That does sound extremely likely. Netflix will eat up your data too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So what apps usage does your phone actually report?

You can check your usage for Android and IPhone.

0 Kudos