Searching...

Mobile

Check your bill once your mobile contract plan expires - or you will keep paying ......

GlenKnight

A word of warning.

Once your mobile contract ends, your plan does not change. You will keep getting billed as if you are still buying the handset. Even though you will have nominally 'paid out' the cost of your handset at the end of your contract, Optus will keep charging you the same until you a) upgrade b) change your plan or c) complain.

Optus will just keep billing , and then the customer service reps will try to tell you that 1) your previous bills didn't contain a handset charge and, 2) your current bills don't either, so 3) what are you complaining about?

After a long time trying to explain the basic unfairness, and sneakiness, I eventually had an offer of a $30 discount for the next 5 months. No offer of a refund for the previous 3 months of overcharging. Then after the discounts, joy of joys, if I do nothing, I go back to my original plan amount. Which contains, obviously, the embedded costs to purchase the included handset, which has now been paid for, but which Optus continue to bill for.

So be careful. Once your contract is up, do something.

Me, I'll be using the next few months of my 'discount' to compare other providers and hopefully move to a carrier with ethics - even if it costs a little more. I'm sure it will be cheaper in the long run, anyway.

Good luck everyone.

Re: Check your bill once your mobile contract plan expires - or you will keep paying ......

Esther
Hi GLenKnight, 

As part of a 24 months contract Optus substantially subsidises the cost of the mobile device to reduce the cost to the customer. Depending on the rate plan and the chosen the device, the repayments can be zero (which means fully subisided by Optus) or there may be a small fee on top of the monthly plan charge.

If you're paying a small amount each month for the phone, this will drop off when the contract has finished - if you've found that this has not happened, we can definitely look into it for you.

If the handset has been subsidised 100%, this means you're only paying for the plan itself & this will not reduce when the contract has finished as the plan cost is still the same. Let me know if any further clarification is required.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Re: Check your bill once your mobile contract plan expires - or you will keep paying ......

[ Edited ]
kertna

Agreed, Optus has done this exact same thing to me. I understand that I should've taken action when my contract ended, and I clearly stated that when I contacted three different people from customer service when I called last week. However, it wasn't made clear to me when I started the contract that the deal would continue at the same price after my contract ended. I spent a total of 2 hours trying to resolve this and customer service was of NO HELP, they proceeded to not escalate the call and I was told someone would get in contact with me this week and four days have passed with no contact whatsoever. 

Look, I'm not asking for a full refund because if I did that would be about $400 worth considering I could have switched to a cheaper plan - I have been paying $80 a month for 5GB and 150 minutes worth of international calls, which is essentially just daylight robbery. I'm just asking for a similar compensation that was offered to GlenKnight as shown above. I have been paying $80 a month for an extra year after my contract ended, and I'm just shocked that Optus did not notify with me with the courtesy of a call or email to inform me that my contract has ended. As I told customer service, I will gladly drop this if Optus can prove that they have evidence of notification off which I did not take action - however when I asked customer service they said they could not pull this up. One of the attendants at the Optus store also said that I should have received notification and I did not. Instead, all customer service could say was that I didn't receive an email because I had opted out of marketing emails - how does vital information concerning my contract fall under marketing?!? In addition, customer service was shoving new deals down my throat which is unbelievable because why would I want to get into another contract with such a sneaky company. I would really appreciate a call or some form of contact from the team regarding the matter. 

Dan_C

@kertna,

This sort of enquiry comes up a bit on the forum. I understand that it's a not-so pleasant surprise to find out that you've been paying more than what was necessary for a plan (especially with outdated inclusions).

As far as not being contacted is concerned, we don't send direct communication to advise customers that their contract has come to an end.

We do have sales reps on outbound campaigns who specifically target customers who are nearing the end of their contract. You may also start receiving communication from us, with information detailing our current in-market offers. If you've opted out of marketing, you'll also be placed on a 'do not call list.'

Your contract end can be found on the My Optus app & My Account.

You can also see how many device repayments you have left on your invoice. For example, your last invoice will show that 24/24 device repayments made.

We're happy to discuss options with you, but we can’t arrange a refund for you.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
kertna

Hey Dan, 

Think my post before didn't make it up but I want my concerns heard. To clarify, I never asked for a refund and I've stated that explicitly in my last post and over the phone. What is really disappointing is the fact that I am a customer no less than GLenKnight above, however, I don't deserve to have my case heard or handled in a similar manner? Why is it that GLenKnight received fair compensation for exactly the same matter and I can't even get my call escalated on the customer service line? If you aren't willing to do the same thing for your other customers, I urge you to take down the original post. 

Also, your customer service consultant took it upon himself to blame me for opting out of marketing which is why I did not receive notice that my contract expired. So please explain to me why my inbox is filled with emails from the Optus Team and Optus Perks or whatever, contacting me regarding irrelevant Optus products, yet they are unable to inform me of vital details about my contract? Where was the email explicitly informing me of my contract expiry or telling me to switch to a better plan? 

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 2.17.03 PM.png

I have looked through every email I've received from Optus around the time my contract ended, and there was an email inviting me to participate in a contest to win tickets to the Baywatch premiere yet nothing regarding my contract? After having four different customer service members and your facebook operator regurgitate the same useless facts without any attempt to empathise or take a more personal approach, it is safe to say that I am beyond frustrated. If there is one thing you can take from this, please learnt to value each customer equally or remove backdated posts such as the above, and Optus needs to seriously up their customer service game. Optus has completely undermined my trust and loyalty in its services from its sheer lack of ethics and customer service capabilities.

timbytes

Hi GlenKnight, 

Here's a tip - you can set expiry dates for your mobile in this website and app - https://www.getreminded.com/

Reminders ensure you have time to negotiate a new contract and not overpay. Plus set for energy, car rego, passport + lots more.

Cheers.

Highlighted

timbytes

Hi kertna,

Here's a tip - you can set expiry dates for your mobile in this website and app - https://www.getreminded.com/

Reminders ensure you have time to negotiate a new contract and not overpay. Plus set up for energy, car rego, passport + lots more.

Cheers.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
143 Kudos
131 Kudos
119 Kudos
79 Kudos
72 Kudos