cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Sgr
New Contributor

Charged for free streaming

I have free Music and TV streaming (Netflix, Stan, etc.) with my mobile postpaid service, however I am constantly going over my data and being charged for it - this has happened four or five times now. Whenever I look at the data usage, the majority of the data is being used via these free streaming platforms. I have questioned this in the online chat, when I can get hold of someone, and the first time I asked about it, my details were not available.

I recently inquired about this issue again, and was told that it was because I ‘downloaded’ data, which I did not. I was offered a $20 one-time payment off my bills (I have gone over my data more than $200 in the last 3-4 months) and was informed my bills would be ‘flagged’. I am still waiting for feedback concerning this ‘flagging’. After this conversation, which I took screenshots of, I could not access further back than 2 months when looking at my data usage charts - I do have some screenshots of earlier ones. Has anybody had similar issues? How, if they were, did you get them resolved? 

10 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Charged for free streaming

@Sgr, I'm sorry you haven't been given any rock-solid info.

I'm more than happy to perform an investigation for you from my end. There's two things I wanted to make sure that you're across.

1). We need to ensure that the Music streaming & Mobile TV have been correctly configured on the account. If you log into your Optus.com.au/myaccount Click the Entertainment tab (right up the top of your dashboard) You're given the option to select Music, Sport or TV The add-on will either show as active or inactive.

2). The data insights tool will show you a breakdown of all your usage (regardless of whether it's unmetered).

The data you're actually being charged for appears on the first screen (the pie graph).

A comparison of the two should show that you're not being charged for data usage on apps that are unmetered. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Sgr
New Contributor

Hi Dan, 

1. I have checked my data streaming and it is active; I have also checked to ensure that my aps are on standard, which they are. 2. The pie charts are showing Netflix/Stan as the main source of data usage and the bar graphs indicate this too. 

New Contributor Sgr
New Contributor

I also just checked the usage of Stan on my last bill April, when I checked it a few weeks ago, there were purple bars indicating that I had used approximately 3GB on the 11th of April, I have a picture of this. I just checked this same graph again and the bars have gone and there is no usage. I have both photos. Why has this changed? 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Sgr, I'm happy to go in and take a look.

I'll compare your billed usage with what our systems have captured.

You'll need to fill out the template below send it through as a private message.

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:

DOB:

Mobile number or order number: 

If you'd like to speak with a consultant in real time you can always speak with our sales support team on Live Chat → Optus.com.au/livechat. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Pizza-Queen
New Contributor

This is exactly what has been happening to me for the last three days. I got charged $50 extra. Pretty much $10 an episode.

i chatted with three Optus people on chat that were useless & finally spoke to a customer service lady today who said it was fixed but tonight it has happened three times already.

i was credited the $50 & told to let them know if it happens again.

its ridiculous😡

im soo close to changing carriers

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Pizza-Queen, let us know how you go.

It sounds like we might need to raise an IT case for you. You'll just need to follow the instructions I included in my comment above yours Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
New Contributor jpenni1
New Contributor

The exact same thing has happened to me.
I have spoken to 3 different optus agents - who actually just kept repeating the same thing.
They stated i had been downloading stan which is absolutely false. I upgraded my sim only to 80gb (which was a nightmare to begin) - then added the streaming package onto my plan.
I finally realised stan had been using my data - when i enquired they said i had been downloading.
I know this is 100%not true as:

1. I upgraded my plan to 80gb because i do not have internet at home anymore 
2. Stan account is set to download only on wifi 
3. How can is be possible i have downloaded when i dont have the internet at home = I DONT HAVE WIFI.
What is worst is that everytime i stated this they kept copying and pasting generic facts about stand and downloading - its so frustrating and unbelievably unfair to get customer service like that - I have paid for and upgrade and package and to be treated like that is awful.

I wanted them to explain to me how this has happened but no one can.
Why would i add and pay for a streaming package that doesnt even work?
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @jpenni1,

As per the above, you can request for an invesitgatiion to be done.

This is not something that we can currently assist with here on the forum. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.
If for some reason it is still not resolved, please follow our complaints process.
Let us know how you go. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Marethyu
New Contributor

I have actually also had this happen to me

I increased my Stan usage because of Endgame being released so I decided to just load up a Marvel movie when I did my 2 hrs of cardio at the gym I then recieved a notification stating I was at 75% I thought this was an error so I ignored it

I then received a $10 data charge 2 days later I presumed tgis may have been because I had placed my data share sim info a nighthawk device I have so I removed it

I also made sure I wasn't using anything but StN & Spotify( accidentally clicked post sorry)

Bit I was still incurring data charges & I would go through a GB per day when the only thing I was doing was watching Marvel movies on stan 

I spoke with your live chat team when I recieved the 2nd charge they told me to wait for the bill & if the charges did appear I would be credited back. I then spoke to them again today & was told that I can only be credited 30% of the incurred data charges. I declined this credit as the issue seems to be happening. 

If a ticket is also possible to be raised & the issue fixed & the charges waived off because of this issue that would be great Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors