Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Gurisingh
New Contributor

Charged $250 extra for no reason in Jan 2018

My name is Gurinder singh. I was charged $250 extra in my Dec-jan bill 2018. I signed up for $10 daily international roaming and travelled to India on 19 Dec 17 and returned back to Australia on 13 Jan after attending wedding of a family friend. My phone stopped working on 23 Dec 17 and I called optus to complaint and request immediate cease of international roaming service. I luckily recorded the conversation to keep it as a proof for later. Actually, my service never got stopped even I requested. I returned back to Australia on 13 Jan 2018. I received my bill of $300 plus. I called optus to discuss this in first of week Feb 2018. I explained that I didn’t use my phone and it had a no reception while i was oversea. After a lengthy discussion and operator reviewed that i’m right becasue there was technical issues going on that time in India and offered to adjust $250 into myaccount. Nothing happened for weeks and i paid the bill to maintain my service. I called back again to discuss this excessive charges early march and explained that we are a family of five and facing little financial hardship. She again agreed that optus made a mistake while charging if extra amount: she offered to fix this in my bill but I requested refund into my account. She promised to do so again after 50 minute discussion. I haven’t seen no progress or refund coming back to my account but optus is sort of threathening me for not paying my latest bill. I don’t see any solution and please advice if i should approach Finacial ombudsman NSW to sort out my issue. Requested twice to sort out of bill and I will not forget this unafir treatment. No one cares at optus..

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Charged $250 extra for no reason in Jan 2018

@Gurisingh,

I agree that the initial error should not have happened. But as you were good enough to realise things go wrong sometimes. IMO the sign of a good company is how they handle things when they go wrong. In this case it would seem Optus have done pretty poorly in remedying the situation they have responsibility for so far. Hopefully a mod might be able to look into the details as they're definitely better at shaking things loose in the backend than the average customer service person.

FWIW if you do have ongoing issues then you will need to lodge an official complaint to Optus (IMO best to write to their complaints department as they have a solid process for responding to letters). After 10 days if you can't get a resolution then you should forward the complaint onto the TIO (not the Financial Ombudsman) as they'll work on your behalf to resolve the issue.

Hopefully it gets sorted before that though.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Peter for your guidance but my apologies as I didn’t understand few acyrnom in your message. What’s IMO and TIO stand for ? I have searched Optus website and failed to locate my complaint. In order to get my money back, I have no support mechanism other than Ombudsman. I’m really tried and have given up with its people. No one call you back... if you might provide a link to lodge my complaint, it will be awesome. Once again, thanks Peter. It’s lot of money for me as I can pay for my children uniform and some other stuff. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Peter got it. I spoke to Telecommunication Industrial Ombudsmen and she informed me that my complaint meets the requirements and have provided all the required documents. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hopefully the TIO will sort the issue without any further need for you to be follow up.

FWIW IMO is in my opinion.

BTW FWIW is for what it's worth

There really is no end to these acronyms!

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@petergdownload please also explain BTW , LoL

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors