Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Changing plans

rjsalt38

I signed upto a data plan some time ago for $20 which was changed to $35 for 10gig when optus changed the plans ....but now theyre offering 15gig for $35 ! why dont they offer that to there existing customers ? they put the prices up and change your plan when it suits them ... but not if its a better offer for us ? 

I have been with Optus for a very long time ... maybe its time for a change

Highlighted
Solution

Re: Changing plans

petergdownload

Some companies are proactive on mentioning new benefits. 

One Telco apparently just automatically increased all customers on a 25/5 NBN plan to a 50/20 NBN plan (prices dropped so no cost to the end user)

But Optus appear to on ly do targetted campaigns to sometimes point out better deals to customers.

Not sure what happened in your case but a contract works both way. If you we're on a $20 plan that's where you 'd stay (Optus generally have no issue with legacy plans.). Regardless any plan you are on has a contract period of 12 or 24 months. Once that's up you will generally stay on the same deal month to month unless you decide otherwise.

Once off contract you are free to grab most new offers as they come along (although it will usually require you agreeing to another 12 month contract).

If its time for a change then perhaps grab a new Optus offer. Put a reminder in your diary/calander 12 months on to revue your current situation again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Caerdydd

This is also a question I want to ask, we pay same money, just because Optus add more GB in a new promotion campaign, new clients can pay same money to get more, while old customers have to hold on to old plan till end of contract. Why Optus not upgrade plan for old customers as a benefit esp to those loyal customers who maybe have been on Optus contract for over one year with good credit record? as a biz, you need to think more to attract and retain the old customers!!

petergdownload

Traditionally that would be the case. However the internet case altered the relationship in both directions. Companies now routinely offer steep discounts to lure new custsomers but then increase prices down the track (the lazy tax). But also customers are now much less 'loyal' and likely to swap to another company for a few dollars less. 

Rather than hoping Optus (and others) will alter their approach I recommend embracing this new reality as it offers the chance for significant savings down the line. Set reminders in your calander when any given contract is up for renewal and then go looking for good deals then. It may be sufficient to just ring your existing provider and ask (insurance companies invariably jack the 2nd year premium but will reduce it again on request)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
50 Kudos