cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

PeterMartyr
New Contributor
New Contributor

Change my number

I was involved in the Facebook data breach of april 2021, simply my existing number is in the public domain, I am out contract too...  

I have a wishlist too, I would like period of grace were both number work on the same phone to sort all my modern security out. 

What are my options? Remember I am out contract too?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kartika

Re: Change my number

Hi @PeterMartyr, if you are looking to change your number then your best to contact our support team via the → messaging service to assist you further as this is a public forum so  we can`t access customers account details here.

Customers can`t have two numbers on the same sim card. When a number is changed the old number is replaced with the new one. In other words the old one gets disconnected for the new one to go active on the sim. You will have to contact the relevant authorities (banks, Centrelink, etc) to get your contact number updated.

Please refer to our number change → support page for more info. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@PeterMartyrDO NOT LET OPTUS CHANGE THE NUMBER!!!!!

1) I would get a new SIM card with a new number. Do NOT tell or say anything to the optus sales person as they may cancel the old number.

2) Redirect the old number to the new number. https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1764

3) After a while ring optus and get the old SIM number cancelled.

This way you will effectively have the two numbers on the one phone. Be aware that I do expect that you will be charged on the old phone for any calls be diverted, so watch out for the costs.

Please mark this as an answer if this is what you have asked for.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FWIW about 99% of the population has a number in the "public domain". You can get a few spam calls but its not a huge issue. You should also be able to sort any security issues out in a day? Presumably 2FA? Note that its now extremely had to be force ported out by a scammer (last year easy, this year very hard)

Your main call should be to get a mobile phone that has dual sim or better still an eSIM. This allows you to get a second number (on the built in eSim) and keep the first one as well using the

I'd suggest any Pixel phone, probably the 4a?

As well install the Microsoft Authenticator and use it to set up your 2FA. It means your 2FA is based on an App and not SMS. Also the Authenticator has a neat backup option so you can move all your security to a new phone one day.

As mentioned just get your new plan (or eSim) from someone other than Optus. Just cancel their SIM when you are ready to.
0 Kudos