Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor sunshineshaz
New Contributor

Change handset - optus lease

Hi. I've had my Samsung S8 for about six weeks and the camera is very poor compared to my other Samsungs.I've always loved Samsung but not anymore... I'd like to upgrade the handset but am leasing for a 12 month period.  Do I have any options or am I stuck with it for the next 10 months.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Change handset - optus lease

Really poor? Wow you're the first person I've seen complain about the camera on the S8, maybe there's something wrong with it or potentially there's some settings you could play with? In general it's been given glowing reviews so I'd look into it a bit further.

As for your options, you can always upgrade now but it'll be pricey. Best way to find out the exact figures would be to ask a staff member over chat - http://yesopt.us/chat2us

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agree with @SamSam,

Possibly it's a faulty phone or lens. Your payout for the phone will be the unsubsidised handset amount. So basically the full cost of the phone.

Perhaps consider selling the phone second hand. Despite the few $100 difference. Then buy another phone outright and stick your current Sim into it for the next 12 months.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

He doesn't own the phone though, mentioned the leasing plan so just be careful if you go down the path of selling because you'll need to buy it out at the end of the lease

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good catch @SamSam

I generally don't recommend leasing, since the non lease plans offer all the same benefits with none of the various risks (like being stuck with a phone you don't want). 

FWIW Optus are very strict on the 12 month update window. You won't get the option (even if you want to pay ahead) before then. If you're on a 24 month lease (with 12 month upgrade option) then any payout will likely be for the 24 month period (and with any monthly subsidy removed)

Unless the camera is critical then you're probably stuck with the phone for another ten months. Sorry.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah, the leasing termination sounds mean:

Termination & cancellation charges

If you cancel within the 24 month minimum term, you will be charged an early termination plan fee prorated monthly for your remaining contract term, plus if the cancellation occurs: • within the first 18 months of your minimum term, you have to keep the phone, and you will also have to pay out the monthly lease charges (which will be increased by any monthly handset credit that would have applied if you did not cancel) for the remainder of the contract term. • in the last 6 months of your minimum term, you can choose to keep the phone and you will be charged the fair market value of the phone (which we will advise at that time), or if you return the phone to us and it is undamaged we will charge you a $99 early return fee and the plan cancellation fee for the remaining contract term. If you cancel at the end of the 24 month contract (or at any time up to month 30), you must return the handset to us, and if the device is damaged, you will have to pay damage fees of up to $229 or up to $499 depending on the nature of the damage. Alternatively you can make a fair market value offer to buy the handset. We will advise you what we consider fair market value to be at the time. If you don’t cancel or return the phone by month 30, we will charge you the fair market value of the handset at that time. You will no longer pay lease charges for the phone, but we will continue to charge you the My Plan Flex plan fees until you cancel the service, or change plans or upgrade the phone.

Cancellation

The maximum cancellation fee for this plan is $792 plus any termination fees referable to the cancellation of your lease.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors